Securitycontext of the telephony service changed in Windows 2008 - how to change?
Hi there, i try to install a bunch of (legacy) TSPs on a Windows 2008 Server which becomes a TAPI /Telephone server. None of them work out of the box. Some can be fixed by e.g. setting read/write permissions on HKLM\software\alcatel for the NETWORK SERVICE account. But without analysing every bit of each driver i am unable make this work. The easiest way would be, to give the "telephony" serivce SYSTEM permissions as it was in 2003/XP. I ve tried to change this for the service, but when i try to start the telephony serivce as "local system" it gives me an error 1079 (eventlog id 7000 Source SCM) which states that the serivce is in the wrong security context. Sorry, i only got the german error message: --------------------------- Dienste --------------------------- Der Dienst "Telefonie" auf "Lokaler Computer" konnte nicht gestartet werden. Fehler 1079: Das für diesen Dienst angegebene Konto unterscheidet sich von dem für andere Dienste angegebenen Konto, die in diesem Prozess ausgeführt werden. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- how to start the serivce telephony as "local system"? tia Gregor Stefka PS: Please note that upgrading the drivers is not an option, as some of these are many many many years old.
January 14th, 2011 2:01am

Hi, Thank you for your post here. To change the logon account of the Telephony service, you can modify the registry to separate the Telephony service from the main Svchost process. To do this, follow these steps: Search and locate the Svchost.exe file. Make a copy of the Svchost.exe file and call it “Svchost_TapiSrv.exe”. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor. Locate and then right-click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TapiSrv Modify the ImageName key so that the value is %systemroot%\System32\svchost_TapiSrv.exe -k LocalService. (The default value is %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.) Exit Registry Editor. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services. Right-click Telephony, and then click Properties. On the Log On tab, click Local System Account, and then click OK. Right-click Telephony, and then click Start.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 17th, 2011 4:13am

it worked telephony service now runs as local system. Thank you. Gregor Stefka
January 22nd, 2011 12:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics