Security with IIS 6.0 (Windows Server 2003)
Hi, I have installed IIS 6 in Windows Server 2003 Sp2 R2 x64 for running client access role (Exchange 2007 Sp1). This web service is public to internet. Recently, I have found that the hacker has been uploaded lots of hack tools to my server using user SYSTEM (Path C:\windows\system32\inetsrv\). Please advise and help me to fix this problem. Thank you very much.
May 21st, 2012 7:57am

Hi, Please read the following article for reference: 10 Immutable Laws of Security http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc722487.aspx How To use Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036 Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2012 10:59pm

Hi, Please read the following article for reference: 10 Immutable Laws of Security http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc722487.aspx How To use Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036 Hope this helps! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 21st, 2012 11:06pm

Hi Elytis Cheng, I got the same situation: same server (windows server 2003), installed iis 6.0, and Exchange 2007 Sp1. . However, when i downloaded and installed Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003, I so confused how to restrict the application that "hacker" use as the tool they had uploaded. So it seems that Software Restriction Policies cant work well. Furthermore, I could not trace the source (IP) that the hacker uploaded tools to the folder "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv" even though we had syslog server using Splunk that monitor our Server. Please tell me how to fix problems. Thank you very much.
May 29th, 2012 2:49am

Hi Elytis Cheng, I got the same situation: same server (windows server 2003), installed iis 6.0, and Exchange 2007 Sp1. . However, when i downloaded and installed Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003, I so confused how to restrict the application that "hacker" use as the tool they had uploaded. So it seems that Software Restriction Policies cant work well. Furthermore, I could not trace the source (IP) that the hacker uploaded tools to the folder "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv" even though we had syslog server using Splunk that monitor our Server. Please tell me how to fix problems. Thank you very much.
May 29th, 2012 2:52am

Hi Elytis Cheng, I got the same situation: same server (windows server 2003), installed iis 6.0, and Exchange 2007 Sp1. . However, when i downloaded and installed Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003, I so confused how to restrict the application that "hacker" use as the tool they had uploaded. So it seems that Software Restriction Policies cant work well. Furthermore, I could not trace the source (IP) that the hacker uploaded tools to the folder "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv" even though we had syslog server using Splunk that monitor our Server. Please tell me how to fix problems. Thank you very much. Hi, Please submit a new case. Thanks for your understanding! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 29th, 2012 3:04am

Hi Elytis Cheng, I got the same situation: same server (windows server 2003), installed iis 6.0, and Exchange 2007 Sp1. . However, when i downloaded and installed Software Restriction Policies in Windows Server 2003, I so confused how to restrict the application that "hacker" use as the tool they had uploaded. So it seems that Software Restriction Policies cant work well. Furthermore, I could not trace the source (IP) that the hacker uploaded tools to the folder "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv" even though we had syslog server using Splunk that monitor our Server. Please tell me how to fix problems. Thank you very much. Hi, Please submit a new case. Thanks for your understanding! Best Regards Elytis ChengElytis Cheng TechNet Community Support
May 29th, 2012 3:08am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics