Security Update in Windows Server 2003 environment
Dear All,In my company,aWSUS server is responsible todistribute the security update and latest patch to MS Windows XP client. However, all users (domain user)cannot installthe security update unless they login as a account which has domain admin right.All domainusers have power user rightin local machine in order to restrict the self-installation for software.. How can I make all domain user can install the security user to the system without grant them have domain admin right.?ThanksPluto
June 3rd, 2008 6:17pm

Hi Pluto, There are 2 group policy settings for the domain users to install the security updates without granting them domain admin's right. The 2 settings are located in the following node of Group Policy, you may enable them on the "Default Domain Policy" Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Component\Windows Update Setting1. Allow Non-Administrators to Receive Update Notifications - Enabled Setting2. Configure Automatic Updates Enabled with (4- Auto download and schedule the install) you may schedule the install time.Afterwards, you may specify a scheduled installation time in the group policy, security updates will install at the scheduled time regardless of who is logged in. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2008 2:10pm

Thanks for your information. In fact I have already set this policy in the GPO but it seem itis not functioning. All security update will be prompted an error during the installation process. Since all my domain user have power user right in the local machine, is it the problem led cannot update the system files?Pluto
June 5th, 2008 4:48am

Hi, This issue may be not related to the power user right. As you said, you have configured the group policy settings that I suggested. Would you please run "Gpupdate /force" on both the DC and the problematic computer to refresh the GPO settings? After that, please check if the issue will re-occur. Would you please describe the error message in detail when the domain user cannot install the security update? Thanks.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 5th, 2008 2:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics