Security Essentials internals
hello,I would like to understand some details about Security Essentials operation as I am currently working on a article and a presentation for a conference on the topic. I need to be able to demonstrate some thinks. Sothree details I would like to have some info on is:a)There is the mpnwmon.sys driver, which makes use of the Base Filtering Engine. I understand it is network filter and it probably inspects some network traffic. I have the real-time protection enabled and as I see in msinfo32, the driver is also loaded and running. But as I download an infected file (HTTP), the file gets downloaded and only after it is stored in a file, the antivirus blocks the file on disk (access denied for everything else except delete).I thought previously, that the filter would block the download itself, not just the file after it has been downloaded.What does the MPNWMON.SYS driver do exactly. Is there a way how to demonstrate its functionality?b)there is the "scan all downloaded files and attachements" setting inside the real-time protection. What does it do exactly? How to demontrate its operation. Until now, I was not able to find any different behaviour between when the check box was enabled or disabled.c)is it logging anything into any Windows Event Log? I dind't find anything.thank you very much.ondrej.
October 19th, 2009 2:35pm

Hi, For the detail information about Microsoft Security Essentials, I suggest that you post to the Security Essentials forum. The forum is a better support pool to assist you: Microsoft Security Essentials Forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/default.aspx Thanks for your understanding. Joson Zhou TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.comThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 20th, 2009 4:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics