Search Service is not working

Hi All,

We have set up search service on sharepoint 2013. I have created a separate content source for my site collection and crawled. It is taking more than the time needed and not ending with the crawl status. It is showing "No data" message in the crawl log with 0 success, 0 failure, 0 errors and 0 top level errors. When i try to search from my site collection: The error am getting is:

Unexpected response from server. The status code of response is '500'. The status text of response is 'System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException'.

Event Logs Error:

WebHost failed to process a request.
 Sender Information: System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment+HostingManager/46204305
 Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/_vti_bin/client.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation.  The exception message is: Memory gates checking failed because the free memory (199053312 bytes) is less than 5% of total memory.  As a result, the service will not be available for incoming requests.  To resolve this, either reduce the load on the machine or adjust the value of minFreeMemoryPercentageToActivateService on the serviceHostingEnvironment config element.. ---> System.InsufficientMemoryException: Memory gates checking failed because the free memory (199053312 bytes) is less than 5% of total memory.  As a result, the service will not be available for incoming requests.  To resolve this, either reduce the load on the machine or adjust the value of minFreeMemoryPercentageToActivateService on the serviceHostingEnvironment config element.
   at System.ServiceModel.Activation.ServiceMemoryGates.Check(Int32 minFreeMemoryPercentage, Boolean throwOnLowMemory, UInt64& availableMemoryBytes)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.CheckMemoryCloseIdleServices(EventTraceActivity eventTraceActivity)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath, EventTraceActivity eventTraceActivity)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.HostingManager.EnsureServiceAvailable(String normalizedVirtualPath, EventTraceActivity eventTraceActivity)
   at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostingEnvironment.EnsureServiceAvailableFast(String relativeVirtualPath, EventTraceActivity eventTraceActivity)
 Process Name: w3wp
 Process ID: 9580

Our environment set up is as follows:

1. Single server with sql 2012 and sharepoint 2013 ( Dev environment)

2. RAM: 10 GB

3. Hard disk space: 119 GB

Please help with your inputs.

T

June 25th, 2013 9:35am

>> The service '/_vti_bin/client.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation.  The exception message is: Memory gates checking failed because the free memory (199053312 bytes) is less than 5% of total memory

You don't have enough free physical memory. You can close some program on the server to free up some memory. With single server installation, you should set the maximum memory used by SQL server.

And please install SharePoint 2013 March PU, i noticed that the memory consumption by search service is less after this PU. By the way, the latest update is April CU.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 26th, 2013 4:27am

Hi Yuming,

Thanks for the help. We were able to fix it by limiting the sql memory to 4 GB. It started loading the results.

June 28th, 2013 10:44am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics