Scripting Disk Usage Report for Co-Located Laptops DPM 2012 R2

Hi again!

I don't know of I'm being blind but I can't seem to find a dataset/attribute that I can interrogate for actual disk spaced used per client from the DPM CLI. 

I can find DiskAllocation against a computer using: 

Get-DPMDatasource -DPMServerName DPMSERVER |?{$_.computer -like "USERLAPTOP"} | select DiskAllocation

But as the laptops are co-located this isn't much use. I can run the SQL Disk Utilization report by client and get the accurate usage per client (as show in the client agent) but was wondering if there is a way to script it using PowerShell?

• Edited by [Malco] Friday, May 29, 2015 2:51 AM
May 29th, 2015 2:44am

Hi,

DPM does not keep track of space used on the replica for each co-located datasource because that would mean DPM would need to traverse each data sources subfolder on the replica and total up the disk space used.  This could be very io intensive and time consuming especially for client protection.  Consequently - there is no powershell command to query disk space allocated per co-located datasource.

For client protection, you can enable disk quotas and set the warning threshold very low, but not block, then look at the resulting warning events per client.

A script to set or remove disk quotas for protected client computers in System Center Data Protection Manager

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 1st, 2015 2:46pm

Thanks Mike, I'm not too bothered by quotas. I just wanted to see if I could get the info out of the CLI as it is there in the SQL based reports.

If I run the standard SQL based Disk utilization report by client it shows me how much each is using and seems to match up with the data on disk on the client. It's a shame you can't pull this metric from PowerShell.

Thanks for coming back though!

June 1st, 2015 9:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics