Script to perform post server build configurations and validate settings

Hello!

I would like to create a script that can set numerous Windows server settings and validate that they are indeed set correctly, based on a predefined list of settings.

For example: A third party company deploys servers from templates.  I am tasked with going through the build and verifying certain configurations and settings are set, based on my company's build request. Depending on where the server resides (physically) it will get specific settings.

Is there a way to script making the correct changes and also display a validation report that all the settings/attributes that were changed, meet the expected value?

Settings like dns settings, netbios, pagefile size/location, Terminal Server host settings(session limits etc), local admin accounts, windows features, bginfo, drive letters, drive sizes, installed ram, number of cpu cores, date/timezone, and the list goes on.  I currently run a few batch files to make the changes, but I'm still required to check that the settings are correct.  It would be nice to have all the batch files rolled into a script that makes changes and then runs a validation test against those changes. Or at the least, make changes and display all of the current values/settings so I can validate they are the correct ones.

I have little scripting/powershell experience.  I could use some assistance to get me going in the right direction.

February 24th, 2015 11:34am

It sounds like you're looking for desired state configuration (DSC). You can search for this for more information.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2015 11:50am

Here's some intro information that should give you a place to start pulling threads:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2014/03/09/weekend-scripter-intro-to-powershell-4-0-desired-state-configuration.aspx

February 24th, 2015 11:58am

I would also recommend posting in the "deployment" forum for more complete information on how to "orchestrate" custom builds.  There are many tools available that can assist in the custom build process.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 24th, 2015 12:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics