Script to make a file inventory on a file server

Hello

To accomplish a company audit, I have to create a script that scan our windows 2003 standard file server and create a report with a list of certain files type like mp3, video and so on. In the list have to be present path, file name, and file owner. I already searched on Google, but I don't find anything usable.

Someone could help me ?

Thanks

Raven

December 2nd, 2010 7:11pm

something like this will do

gci *.mp3, *.avi -recurse | foreach { write-host "$($_.fullname) - $($_.getaccesscontrol().owner)"}

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 2nd, 2010 7:31pm

Something like this?

$dirpath = <directory to search>

$ext = "*.mp3","*.avi" #add whatever extension type you want to search for

gci $dirpath -recurse -include  $ext |? {-not $_.psiscontainer} | select name,fullname,@{name="Owner";expression={$_.getaccesscontrol().owner}} | export-csv c:\somedir\filereport.csv -notype

December 2nd, 2010 7:41pm

I like that, except I'd change out FullName for Directory and maybe add the size, which is usually helpful in a storage audit. 

$searchdir = "d:\ShareRoot","e:\ShareRoot"
$ext = "*.mp3","*.wma" ## etc etc

$searchdir | % { gci $_ -recurse -include $ext | select Name,Directory,@{Name="Size in MB";expression={$_.Length / 1mb}},@{Name="Owner";expression={$_.getaccesscontrol().Owner}}} | Export-Csv C:\DirResult.csv -notype

• Marked as answer by Raven1970 Friday, December 03, 2010 2:56 PM
December 2nd, 2010 8:10pm

Woooow great !!!!! Many Thanks :-)
December 3rd, 2010 6:00pm

I like that, except I'd change out FullName for Directory and maybe add the size, which is usually helpful in a storage audit. 

$searchdir = "d:\ShareRoot","e:\ShareRoot"
$ext = "*.mp3","*.wma" ## etc etc

$searchdir | % { gci $_ -recurse -include $ext | select Name,Directory,@{Name="Size in MB";expression={$_.Length / 1mb}},@{Name="Owner";expression={$_.getaccesscontrol().Owner}}} | Export-Csv C:\DirResult.csv -notype

Thanks, this is a very useful script. How could the output be amended to also include file creation and modification date?
June 21st, 2013 10:53am

Dear all,

Is there anyway I can update this script so that it also outputs the last accessed date/time of the files as well?

January 12th, 2014 5:58pm

Yes, add the LastAccessTime property to the select command.

If you have additional questions, you should start your own thread.

January 12th, 2014 8:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics