Screen Saver Lock-out

Our WMS 2011 Premium server boots and then after the association of the mouse and keyboard the screen saver starts and then simply moves when the mouse moves or the keyboard is touched.  

There is no way to get around the screen saver and the system is not accessible from any other station.

We can start the system in safe mode and log in, but not apply changes or update the system.

January 23rd, 2012 7:01pm

Is the station you are trying to use to log on to a direct video connect or a usb video station?

If direct connect, make sure that the keyboard/mouse is plugged into an intermediate usb hub and not directly into the system (unless PS/2 type connection).

Why is the system not accessible from any other station?  What is occurring on the other stations?

One suggestion to try get out of this quickly would be disconnect all other stations, log on using 1 direct connect video station.  Run MPM and do a remap all stations (just to be safe), and then reconnect the other stations.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2012 2:36pm

Mike

Yes it is a direct video connection the keyboard/mouse are PS/2 style connections and directly plugged into the station.  The other stations are not able to located the server, which is that station that can not be accessed.  

So I can't even log on to the direct connected station as it is the one that I having the issue with.  The only way I can access that station is through safe-mode.

January 30th, 2012 2:59pm

Since you are able to log in in safe mode, it doesn't appear to be a hardware issue with kb or mouse which would have been my next thought.

Can you log in as admininstrator on one of the other stations, and then run MultiPoint Manager and remap all stations to see if this fixes it.

January 30th, 2012 3:11pm

No  I can't, even though the WMS server comp is running I can not seem to log onto any station as the administrator.  Please note that all stations are connect over our network and are not usb direct connect stations.  I can't seem to run the config tool while in safe mode, are there other tools I can use in safe-mode in order to solve this problem.  All of the physical connections seem to be working fine and while in safe mode all the physical connections work.
January 30th, 2012 3:14pm

Sorry, this problem has me stumped.

What type of error message are you getting when you try to login as administrator on one of the other stations?  Maybe if we can get this solved, we can get it so that you can run MPM to remap all stations.

January 30th, 2012 3:39pm

Good I am glad I am not the only one stumped on this one.  Would you suggest trying to create another local station plugged in through a usb hub to get around the problem of direct connections?  or creating a smaller network environment through a switch and ethernet cable?  I am not sure if the system is setup for a networked environment it would detect the usb stations and adapt or whether or not we could simply create a smaller less complicated network in one room we could log in an administrative account run MPM to remap the stations.

Let me know your thoughts

January 30th, 2012 3:58pm

Swapping out the PS2 kb/mouse and using a USB keyboard/mouse into a USB hub is simple enought that it would be worth a try.

I am not sure what you mean by "creating a smaller network" though.

What error are you getting when you are trying to log in as administrator on the other stations?

Also, what type of stations are they?  (I was assumming USB video hubs, but now I see that this might be incorrect).

Another idea would be to try create a remote desktop connection from a random PC to the server.  If you can log on as admin over this RDP connection, you should be able to run MPM and try to remap the stations.

January 30th, 2012 4:08pm

Yeah sorry, all of the other stations are either legacy XP computers connecting through an RDP connection or HP 5053 (I am pretty sure that's the model) thin-clients also connecting by RDP connection.  

When I say simpler network I simply thinking of removing complication of other intermediary switches, and cabling, not that should change anything.

The error is unable to connect though I can PING with WMS server that is causing all of the problems.  So I am a little baffled.  The connection is there, the server can run in safe-mode so it would not be a hardware issue, and yet the screen saver locks us out and is unresponsive to mouse or keyboard movements in terms of communicating to the server that it should stop running the screen saver and simply moves the WMS logo around the screen with any keystroke or mouse movement.

January 30th, 2012 4:26pm

Hmm....

If you are not able to get a connection using network thin clients, then I suspect that something deeper is going on (Remapping the stations often can fix local WMS station issues, but it seems like remote stations are messed up as well, so I think we may have been barking up the wrong tree).

Were there any changes done to network settings (like deletion of the network loopback adapters?  (These are needed for WMS to run))

January 30th, 2012 4:51pm

No the system was running fine on a Friday, and the staff came in to set things up on Monday and we encountered this problem.  No changes have been made to the loop back adapters, but even if there were I still don't understand why that would effect the direct connected station.  
January 30th, 2012 5:03pm

Hi

Has anyone any ideas to this as I have the same problem. I have connected via RDP and run config.wiz and that fails with and error code 0x8004005. I have run remap the stations MANY times. I changed Autoadminlogon to 0 to reset the SRCShell account. I have also reinstalled the Video driver just in case that's the problem but I still have the same problem.

Regards Tom

February 1st, 2012 8:29pm

Hello,

I've also seen this happening on my test WMS2011: sometimes when I start the machine, my locally attached station will go directly to the screensaver and I cannot get the system back to the login screen by hitting the keyboard & mouse (frustrated). Sometimes it would go back to the login screen if I just leave the station for a few minutes, other times I've had to log in via RDP and restart the WMS2011 and then on next boot it will give me a login screen.. I'm not sure what causes this, but it will certainly be a huge concern for me in any production environment.

Regards,
John 

February 2nd, 2012 2:58pm

has this ever been resolved? i'm having the same issue.
July 10th, 2012 7:29pm

Also having this problem ... Someone find a fix already.Driving my clients insane!!
July 30th, 2012 11:50pm

I had this happen to me and I ended up solving it by disassociating my LAN client, installing all of my USB stations, and then associating my LAN client again. Evidently, when the LAN client was connecting, my system would lock up. By adding all of my USB stations first and then the LAN stations last, it solved the issue for me.

Also, I experience screensaver lockup when my Windows was set to put my monitors into sleep mode after a minute. I turned that off in the USB Power settings and the lockup went away. With this issue, I could turn off the client and turn it back on to jump start the system.

Also, have you looked at this link to see if the SRCShell user account has been deleted?With WMS2010, at least, Microsoft says you'll have log-in issues if that account is deleted.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wms-2010-logon-issues.aspx

• Proposed as answer by paraworlds Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Edited by paraworlds Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:00 PM
October 27th, 2012 6:59pm

FWIW we just got hit by this today.  Multiple servers started getting stuck at the screensaver stage.   Moving mouse results in mouse pointer not moving from center and the screen saver won't progress past the floating windows logo.   Two servers started doing it at the same time.  We haven't changed anything.  Pretty scary since we have a whole lot of these deployed in classrooms and wondering if they are all about to go out.   Does anybody have a fix?  WE have only USB clients.   A few existing sessions logged into one of the affected machines are still running

Darren

October 30th, 2013 8:46pm

I am having this exact problem! Is there a fix? I've tried updates, and disconnecting the other stations. Nothing works.
November 21st, 2014 3:03pm

I am having the exact same problem. Is there a fix out there? Our school computer lab is cut by 1/3 with this host down. Thank you.
November 21st, 2014 5:19pm

Has there been a reliable procedure put together on the steps needed to prevent this from happening? We have a large MPS deployment with USB Dell Wyse E00 thin clients and when they go to "sleep" they will not wake up? This was not happening last year. Units were updated over the summer...now we are seeing this...
  • Edited by CNiTechs 14 hours 51 minutes ago
September 13th, 2015 12:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics