Scoping Logical Disk Alerts to SQL servers

We would like to create a subscription for logical disk free space alerts and scope the subscription to logical drives for just our full SQL servers (not SQL Express)

Would creating a dynamic group and including it in the criteria of the subscription work?  If so, what would the query look like to just include the logical disks of full SQL servers?

Or do I have to manually add all the logical drives for all our SQL servers?.  Its a large dynamic environment and would not look forward to having to maintain the SCOM group.

Thanks. Your advice would be appreciated.

August 19th, 2015 5:27pm

Create a group, and place the Windows Computer object for the names of the SQL Server into this group. Then Create a subscription, using the Group above, and the specific rule Windows Server 2008 Logical Disk Free Space and or Windows Server 2012 Logical Disk Free Space, also specify new and closed alerts too. you could create a view using the same information too. 

hope this helps!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 2:11pm

The monitoring of SQL 2014 has added a few nuances to SQL monitoring which I discuss here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/manageabilityguys/archive/2015/08/14/dynamic-sql-computer-group-with-health-service-watcher-objects.aspx

You won't necessarily need to create a group as one does already exist - Microsoft.SQLServer.Generic.Presentation.ComputersGroup (SQL Server Computers) - but this will include SQL Express.

You can either exclude monitoring:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2010/02/13/stop-monitoring-sql-express-and-windows-internal-database.aspx

Or use the exclude tab on group membership. Ideally you'd have a good naming convention to exclude SQL Express but I appreciate you might have inherited something less friendly.

Regards

Graham

August 26th, 2015 2:26am

Thanks for your answers!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 11:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics