Scheduled Tasks not running and exit with code (80) in Windows Server 2003
Hi All, I have a .bat file in task scheduler which exits with the code (80) which runs daily. The task executes successfully when it is run manually, the service account which is used to run the task is added as part of the admin group in local system. I tried to reschedule/recreate the task which didn't help much. I have created a dummy task for testing purpose which is running fine. System is Windows Server 2003 SP2. Let me know if I need to enable/disable any permissions/services. Any help regarding this is highly appreciated.
February 9th, 2010 5:00pm

Hi ntejas2k, Thank you for posting your question here. According to your description, I understand your bat file in task scheduler which exits with the colde 80. To resolve this issue, you will need to Increase the desktop heap for non-interactive window stations by increasing the 3rd parameter for shared Section. Please follow the steps below: 1. At a command prompt, type REGEDT32.EXE to start Registry Editor. 2. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems 3. In the right pane of Registry Editor, click Windows. 4. On the Edit menu, click Modify. 5. In the Edit String dialog box, locate the SharedSection parameter string in the Value data box, and then specify a larger value for the SharedSection parameter. Note: The SharedSection parameter specifies the system and desktop by using the following format, where <xxxx> defines the maximum size of the system-wide heap (in kilobytes), <yyyy> defines the size of the per desktop heap, and <zzzz> is the size of the desktop heap for each desktop that is associated with a non-interactive Windows station: SharedSection=<1024>,<3072>,<3072> 6. Click OK.The 3rd parameter should be ideally increased in increments of 512 till the issue is resolved.A reboot is required for the settings to take effect. Sincerely, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 10th, 2010 6:06am

Hi Wilson,Thanks for the response.. we are not allowed to change the registry settings.. is there any alternate way? do i need to check anything in specific w.r.t the service account which is used to run the job?
February 10th, 2010 5:36pm

Hi,Please also check the following kb's workaround.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812400Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 12th, 2010 10:49am

Wilson- Many thanks for the solution to this. Worked like a charm. :) Regards, Aaron
November 2nd, 2010 4:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics