Save VM in case of Power Failure

Hello.

We have a Hyper-V Cluster, with several nodes running Server 2012 R2 - and 1 SCVMM 2012 R2.

Today one of the Hyper-V Machines went down, and i naturally moved all the VMs to the other nodes.

Everything went back online, except for some VMs complaining about corrupt data.

The VMs that had the problem, is running some sort of Database in RAM.

When the VM went down, because the Hyper-V server crashed - it didnt save the data saved in the RAM modules.

So can SCVMM create some sort of "checkpoint" which is saving the VMs RAM Data - and in case of a crash and "insert" these data into the virtual machines RAM when starting again?

I know this is normally a setting, that you enable inside the VM - but the SQL / Database server in the VM is not keeping any log files, and does not support saving the data allocated in RAM - unless you manually shut it down nicely.

Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated :)

As far as i could understand, then Hyper-V Replica only replikates the disk - not the RAM

March 27th, 2015 8:52am

Hi KSL28,

Let's see if the logic can help us :

AIM: You want that VMM or Hyper-V save the VM state in case of power-failure

Is this possible : Of course not, if a power failure occurs, instantly the server will go down, so all is off. No server, no VMs inside it, no RAM. This is not possible because the power-failure will instantly cause the server crash. This is like i want the screen to display me a message "POWER FAILURE" when a power failure occurs, this is not possible becasue the screen will go down (no power)

How to proceed then: You will need to predict a power failure : Install batteries and when a power failure occurs, the batteries will supply your servers, when the battery level is down, an autoamted action will ocuure (Saving your work and making a clean shutdown of your servers) . In addition, this the  base of computer technology : the RAM content is volatile

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 27th, 2015 9:28am

Hello.

I knew this from the beginning, and i might have "asked" a wrong way.

I know that RAM is volatile, and loses their data in case of a Power Failure :)

But what i ment, was is there a way to preserve the Data from the VM?

Can SCVMM somehow "capture" the RAM data every 5 seconds, and save to a file on the ClusterVolume - and then insert it, when the VM is starting?

March 27th, 2015 10:06am

No VMM does not offer this possibility. But even if VMM can do that, how will you exploit this RAM capture ?

I suggest you to look for the application developer and ask him for such possibility. Each 30 minutes, it saves the work in the disk for example

March 27th, 2015 10:09am

Hello.

To be honest, im not the greatest expert in Virtualization and SCVMM (as you might know now).

But since Hyper-V is working "low" in the physical hardware, i just assumed this was possible...

I appreciate you answer, and want to thank you for taking your time to teach and inform me :)

March 27th, 2015 10:30am

I want to ask something please. How do you backup this server, since the memory will not be saved ?

March 27th, 2015 10:33am

Hello.

Database program (dont know what the program is called) is exporting the DB, every night.

When exporting its sorts of "Pausing" the Databases, and we can only do this every night from 03:00 -> 03:30.

Its like when exporting a Hyper-V machine - its pausing the VM.

March 27th, 2015 11:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics