Samll Business Server 2003 DHCP Multihomed Issue
I have an SBS 2003 Server that provides DHCP services. The server has two adapters. The DHCP services keeps on stopping because it detect another server on one of the subnets. I want to prevent the server from trying to provide DHCP services on one of the adapters. In other words, I want to provide DHCP services on ONLY one adapter. I know I can disable one adapter but there is a printer on that subnet that the clients must have access to. Any assistance would be appreciated. --Sem
April 26th, 2010 7:37pm

For 2003, open the DHCP Admin console. Right click the properties of the server object. On the advanced tab, you will see a button named "Binding". De-select any interfaces that you do not wish to be bound to the DHCP Server Service. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2010 8:28pm

Hi, Thank you for your post here. Or: In SBS server, we use the BindToDHCPServer registry value to control whether DHCP service is bound to a network adapter. If the value is 0, the bounding is disabled. You can set value 0 on the external NIC which there already has a DHCP server. On the SBS server, run regedit to open the Registry Editor. a) Expand HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\. b) Indentify the Internal NIC's GUID through its IP address. c) Check whehter BindToDHCPServer = 1 exists. If yes, set the value to 0. If not, create one. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.
April 27th, 2010 6:27am

Thank you much, the unbinding method worked. That's the option I was looking for.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 7th, 2010 4:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics