Same internal and external DNS name

Hello,

I know this topic was mentioned before, but all of them I found was 4,5 or 6 year ago.

One of company's client would like same internal and external dns names (windows server internal and public external).

Do you have any recommendations to do this or avoid it? I noticed that one of the problem is resolve company.com (without www) as website internally. Is there more things that can make problems?

Thanks,

Aleksandar

August 19th, 2015 4:45pm

I would highly recommend not using the same names or domain internally as external. For one you will have many DNS issues and have to use a split zone which is harder to manage. Another is you will have less security on your network as one of the first things hackers try to do is figure out the network structure. Depending on your size of network this will also lead to issues as the number of servers grow. It would be bad practice and is not necessary to do this. Why are they wanting to do this, what benefit or gain do they think it would accomplish?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2015 1:13am

Hi Ziwoin,

Agree with Britt, it is not recommended using the same domain name with external network. As Britt has mentioned, if you have set the internal domain name to be same with the external domain name, you may use split-domain zone to manage DNS query.

In the split DNS infrastructure, we may create two zones for the same domain. One of the zones is used by internal network clients and the other zone is used by external network clients. However, it cant solve the issue that if internal client want to access external server which has the same FQDN with server in internal network.

Best regards,

Anne he  

August 20th, 2015 1:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics