SUBINACL.exe for Windows Server 2008
We currently use SUBINACL.exe for allowing non-administrators to manage Windows services remotely for Windows 2003 servers. A lot of the articles reference using this tool for the same administration in Windows Server 2008, but the newest version of the file I could find was from 2004, and does not indicated that Windows Server 2008 is a supported platform. Is there an updated version of this for Windows Server 2008? Link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E8BA3E56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en
April 28th, 2010 7:39pm

Hi SpaceCowboy, Currently, there is no updated support version of it for Windows Server 2008. Based on my test, SubInACL.exe works on Windows Server 2008. Sincerely, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please click "Mark as Answer" when you get the correct reply to your question.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2010 6:00am

I was able to resolve this issue. The answer can be found in KB907460. Specifically, I had to do the following: Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. Type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER: sc sdset SCMANAGER D:(A;;CCLCRPRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCRPWPRC;;;SY)(A;;KA;;;BA)S:(AU;FA;KA;;;WD)(AU;OIIOFA;GA;;;WD) The article states the problem exists in Windows Server 2003, but I had the same problem with Windows Server 2008.
May 25th, 2010 5:26pm

We stopped using subinacl in favor of icacls.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2010 8:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics