SSRS 2008: connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError)

Hi,

I have started getting this error since a week now when I try to schedule a report or change a schedule of a report. 

An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError) Get Online Help For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors 

We have SQL Server 2008 installed along with SSRS running on the server. I have never seen this happening before for almost a year now but suddenly it appeared.  Along with this, report subscription is also messed up and some report are not been emailed as they have a error like:

Failure sending mail: An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database.Mail will not be resent. 

I am not sure what caused this but if anyone has any idea of what is going on it will be great. 

Thanks you for your help. 

Please reply soooon !!!

December 3rd, 2010 8:51pm

Hi Sergei,

Thank you for the links, but none of them helps. 

I have already increased the session timeout to 3600. When i moved this database to a different server with a different instance of SSRS it works fine. So it means suddenly something happened to my current instance of SSRS or Reporting Database and i am not able to figure out how to solve this issue. 

Thanks. 

December 6th, 2010 6:43pm

I have run into some issues similar to this.   I have sharepoint 2010 integration, so your issue is not the same, but you should start by looking closely at your logs....

Enable Verbose logging from Reporting services. You need to restart service after this change - then you should look at the traces.  

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2146315

If this doesn't give you enough information,  you should trace the sql as well.

good luck,

Luis

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 6th, 2010 7:05pm

The closest I have to come to solving this issue is by taking a backup of current reporting DB and Temp DB and then restoring them in a New Reporting DB on the same server. Later performing the activity of pointing the SSRS service to the new db. 

I know this is the not the correct to do but it solved the issue. If any one has a better idea then it will be helpful to me or others in future.

Thank you for your inputs.

December 8th, 2010 10:06pm

I just encountered the first problem. I was modifying a schedule to run twice a week from once a week.  The report website was somewhat sluggish at the time but not sure if that really matters.  After that failed anytime visiting the Schedules page under Site Settings it would fail with the first error you listed.

Anyway what I noticed was that 2 Jobs were added the SQLAgent with the same identifier that matched the identifier in [ReportServer].[dbo].[Schedule] for my schedule in the report server.

Both the old job and the new job were now corrupt and had no steps or schedules.  I deleted the second job via SSMS and then the Schedules web page worked again.  I edited the schedule again and it had my changes but I reapplied them and that fixed the SQLAgent Job so it had proper a schedule and steps.

• Proposed as answer by TA_BE Friday, December 10, 2010 12:56 AM
December 10th, 2010 12:53am

I find it completely unbelievable and improper that the Microsoft moderator marked as the answer to this question an answer that was no answer at all and ignore this perfectly valid and logical answer.  Makes me wonder about the relationships involved.
July 27th, 2011 8:31pm

We continue to ask for solutions to this piece of garbage product, SQL Reporting Services, but all we get from MS are work-arounds or references to articles that are not relevent or that offer no solution. I seldom see anything worthwhile posted by MS. It seems that they want us to try to resolve their problems for them.

Rich

September 22nd, 2011 12:51pm

Rich, hi, sorry for my english but I speak spanish...

Well, I was tried to recreate this issue and is really hard to recreate, however and as a rain from the sky, one of my customers receive the same error that you have, reviewing Windows Logs and SQL Traces there is nothing.

Just for discard security issues I decide to change permissions in my server.

1. Go to SQL Server Reporting Services Configuration Manager

2. Go to Databases

3. Verify the credentials used to connect to the database server

4. Go to your database server

5. Look for the login or user that is being used to connect to the database server from SSRS

6. Change the role of that user and convert it to Sysadmin (Relax, this is not the final solution)

7. Try again (Is not necesary to restart ANYTHING)

8. Now, your SSRS and Subscriptions must work fine

9. If your SSRS and subscriptions are working ok, you have to give some permissions to the user

10. Grant execute permissions on

master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_notify
master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_enum_jobs
master.dbo.xp_sqlagent_is_starting
msdb.dbo.sp_help_category
msdb.dbo.sp_add_category
msdb.dbo.sp_add_job
msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver
msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep
msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobschedule
msdb.dbo.sp_help_job
msdb.dbo.sp_delete_job
msdb.dbo.sp_help_jobschedule
msdb.dbo.sp_verify_job_identifiers

11. Grant select permissions on

msdb.dbo.sysjobs
msdb.dbo.syscategories

12. Grant public role to the user in the MSDB and Master DB

13. Remove the Sysadmin role to the user

14. Try again, now, your SSRS is ready to work

Regards

Pls let me know if work for you

November 3rd, 2011 7:33pm

We received the same error (first 1) when one of our user modified one of the reports. After that, the subscription for that report stopped working and trying to change the subscription produced the above error. I asked her to recreate a new subscription for the report. And now the report subscription is working fine.  As I understand the user wasn’t the person who created the report and subscription in first place. Is that making sense?

• Edited by Nikta Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:54 AM
November 16th, 2011 1:37am

Worked great!  Thanks for the advise.
February 27th, 2012 7:16pm

In addition to all the suggestions provided, I'll add this bizarre one.  I had the same error occurring on a report - may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition blah, blah, blah.

I opened the report in BIDS and rechecked the connection by testing the connection.  It worked, then I rendered the report in BIDS and it worked.

Then I checked the disk space on the server, gobs of free space.  Then I ran DBCC CHECKBD(ReportServer) to ensure there was nothign amiss in the database. 

There was not.  So I deleted the report and redeployed.  Same error.

Here comes the bizarre part - The report name was ridiculously long name - Customer Qty Ordered by Mfg Code by Tech Number for Period specified.rdl.

I renamed it to Customer Qty Ordered.rdl.  Deleted the old report and redeployed.  It is working fine now.

Wierd.

July 20th, 2012 6:22pm

Hi John,

Could you please share your knowledge on what causes this problem to occure with reports which are running fine since ages with existing role (public in my case)

Thanks,

MChandra

• Edited by M Chandra Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:08 AM
August 30th, 2012 8:05am

Thanks for finding the issue with the Security permission, I would recommend to check the permissions of the RSExecRole in MSDB and Master, and the memebership of the Reporting Services credentials used to connect with the database to this role.

To restore or check the right amount of permission for the role you can check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc281308.aspx

Jaime -  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jtarquino/

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

October 2nd, 2012 8:46pm

This solution worked very well for me.

Thank you very much!

Mike

November 8th, 2012 7:50pm

This solved my problem, thanks. The Reports had been working fine, no problem of timeout, disk space or whatsoever. My schedules had been working fine and then from 1 minute to the other the subscriptions were not working any more.  I remember clicking on the apply botton twice when changing the schedule because the Report manager site was slow and it probably created a double entry on the sql server. I would recommend to improve the error message, in my case it was misleading

September 6th, 2013 8:36am

Very old post but I thought I'd share what caused a part of the issue on my end:

KG wrote:

"...when I try to schedule a report or change a schedule of a report. 

An error occurred within the report server database. This may be due to a connection failure, timeout or low disk condition within the database. (rsReportServerDatabaseError) Get Online Help For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors ..."

One very simple thing may be the SQL agent service is not running.  When this happens, you cannot access the subscriptions from SSRS.  Just happened to me.

• Edited by Antoine F Tuesday, December 10, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Proposed as answer by David R. Davis Sunday, February 09, 2014 4:51 PM
December 10th, 2013 7:26pm

For me, the probleme was the SSRS named instance.

During installation, an Update trigger is created on the Schedule table with a bad name for the SSRS Temp DB.

So, go to ReportServerDB.schedule, trigger -> Schedule_UpdateExpiration and verify that the name of the SSRS temp DB. An underscore will be in the temp DB name. Replace them with a $.

Execute the query to alter the trigger and it works!!

Have a nice day!

October 30th, 2014 2:06pm

For us the issue was a report was copied from another report. When both jobs were scheduled to run as Subscriptions they had the same SQL Job ID.

SELECT  *

FROM    ReportSchedule

INNER JOIN Catalog ON ReportID = ItemID

When the report was copied, two instances of the same job appeared in SQL agent with the same name.  Its almost like SSRS ran two create statements instead of a create and then an update when you updated the email addresses.

The clue was the error:

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: There are two or more jobs named '6EDB2EFD-D53A-4822-9812-FA6BC048A52D'. Specify @job_id instead of @job_name to uniquely identify the job.

February 9th, 2015 7:17pm

this worked like charm in my case. thanks John.
July 28th, 2015 8:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics