SSIS packages migration from 2005 to 2012

Dear Experts,

I am SSIS newbie. Please excuse my understanding of this concept. I am in the process of migrating all the SSIS packages from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012 (side by side migration). There are totally 6 packages. I exported all of the packages in SQL 2005 by this process.

Go to SQL 2005 Integration Services-> Under "Stored Packages", right click the package and click "Export Package". These packages get saved in .dtsx format.

Then I got to SQL Server 2012, open these packages in SSDT and get many error messages. Example below.

"The component metadata for could not be upgraded to the new version of the component. The performupgrade method failed"

"Convert to dates failed validation and returned error code". "The component is missing, not registered, not upgradable or missing required interfaces."

It is quite frustrating, I searched these error messages but couldn't figure out how to fix. Also, when I saw some videos online, some of them have showed opening the package as a project but my packages are all in .dtsx format. Is there someway by which I can save them as a project in sql 2005.

Please provide your inputs. Thank you for your help.

Thanks.

August 21st, 2015 3:03am

Hi MM,

During the package upgrade process, most components and features in SQL Server 2005 convert seamlessly to their counterparts in the current release of SQL Server.

However, there are several components and features that either will not be upgraded or have upgrade results of which we should be aware. For example, Connection strings. For SQL Server 2005 packages, the names of certain providers have changed and require different values in the connection strings. For more details about upgrade Integration Services Packages, please refer to the following documents:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280546(v=sql.110).aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh667275.aspx

Besides, if you want to save those packages as a project in SSIS 2005, we can create a SSIS project in BIDS. Right-click the SSIS Packages folder to "Add Existing Package", then set SSIS Package Store as Package location to select the required packages under "Stored Packages". And then save the project.

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 11:29pm

It is common you see some errors when you upgrade.

Open the package in SSDT and trouble shoot the issues.

open the package and run you will see where it is stopping. then analyse the error.

Looks like you need to rewrite your packages.

August 24th, 2015 12:05am

Hi Moinu,

According to your description, you want to migrate SQL Server Integration Services from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2012.

For how to migrate SQL Server Integration Services, please refer to the article:http://www.bidn.com/blogs/DevinKnight/ssis/2718/upgrading-packages-to-ssis-2012.

In addition, since the issue regards SQL Server Integration Services. I suggest you post the question in the SQL Server Integration Services forums at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlintegrationservices.

August 24th, 2015 12:16am

It is common you see some errors when you upgrade.

Open the package in SSDT and trouble shoot the issues.

open the package and run you will see where it is stopping. then analyse the error.

Looks like you need to rewrite your packages.

August 24th, 2015 4:03am

Didn't have to rewrite packages etc. The SSIS packages first migrated to SQL 2008 after I installed the BIDS 2008. Package upgraded successfully to 2008..Then SQL data tools installed and the package upgraded fine. Copied the packages from the server on to my local pc and installed all components on my local machine.
September 3rd, 2015 4:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics