SSIS Proxy Account - Operating System Error 5 when creating backup folders on network drive

Hi Everyone,

I have a maintenance plan to run my daily SQL backups.  A local NT Service account runs my SQL Server and SQL Server Agent services.  I tried switching this to a domain account yesterday but couldn't get it to switch due to SPN issues and had to back out.  So being stuck with a local account running the services, I'm trying to use a proxy to run SSIS package so I can push the backups to a secure network location that the local NT Service accounts running my SQL services can not access.

The problem is, the SSIS package is not leveraging the proxy and tries to create the folders and save the backups using the domain account tied to the computer.  I've tested this extensively and if I give access to the computer's account the job works (the computer account also shows up as the owner if File Explorer).

The same account used for the proxy runs my sql services on other instances that can save to this drive location.

Any ideas on what to do (other than trying to switch the services to run off of the domain account again), or why the job is using the computer's id?

Thanks for your help.   

August 19th, 2015 6:23pm

Hi.

You should have create/read/write permissions on the network path for SSIS .

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 10:39pm

Hi baf24,

Based on your description, it seems that your proxy account uses a credential that related to the domain account. So that it just like use the domain account to run the job step.

To check this issue, we can expand the Proxies under SQL Server Agent, then find the proxy account that you have used to run the job step. Double-click the proxy account to find the relevant Credential, then expand the Credentials under your Database Engine Security folder to find the relevant Identity.

Please note that a SQL Server Agent proxy account defines a security context in which a job step can run. Each proxy corresponds to a security credential. A credential is a record containing the authentication information needed to connect to a resource outside of SQL Server. Most credentials consist of a Windows login name and password.

For more details about how to run a SSIS Package from SQL Server Agent Using a Proxy Account, please refer to the links below:
https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2163/running-a-ssis-package-from-sql-server-agent-using-a-proxy-account/
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190698(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

August 19th, 2015 11:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics