SSIS Package to extract data to a file for a 3rd party containing multiple file sections

So I have to construct an SSIS Package that will create a flat file .txt or .dat for a 3rd party. The file will contain a couple of different sections...

• File Header Record
  • Batch Header Record
  • Detail Record
  • Batch Trailer Record
  • File Trailer Record

So I'm a pretty simple K-I-S-S programmer. And the way I was going to do this would be to create a SQL Server Stored Procedure and within it create separate #Temp_Table for each section, build its contents appropriately, then build one mass #Temp_Table_Final with one column varchar(1000) and then simply INSERT from each section #Temp_Table to construct the Final file that will be FTPed out.

Am I over complicating this? Is there an easier way within SQL Server Integration Services to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks for your review and am hopeful for a reply.

August 21st, 2015 4:39pm

I would recommend you check the commercial COZYROC Template Task. You can generate arbitrary text files with any structure.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 5:06pm

Could you please give us an example with the data on how will you retrieve all these info from tables (?) to form these different sections of a file. Is all sections available from database? Is other sections are summary of the 'Detail record'?

August 21st, 2015 6:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics