SSIS FTP task remote path error /

Hi Chaps,

I am trying to set up a SSIS package which uses a FTP task to download some files. In the FTP task editor I have the filename setup as an RemotePath expression. If I do not put a / at the start of the file name generated I get the following error:

[FTP Task] Error: Remote path "test.csv" doesn't start with "/".

If I then place a / infront of the name then then I get an error saying the file does not exist

[FTP Task] Error: File represented by "/test.csv" does not exist.

In both cases I have the DelayValidation property set to true.

However if I log on to the ftp server manually using windows or command prompt the file exists and can be downloaded from the default folder you log into.

I would appriciate any light anyone could shed on this problem.

Fraser

July 13th, 2006 9:45am

Same problem - anyone knows the answer?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 30th, 2006 8:27pm

Make sure you type in the full path for the file, the best way to figure that out would be logging into that FTP using Windows' commandline FTP client and typing 'pwd' once you are in the directory where the file you want to fetch is located at.

March 28th, 2007 3:43pm

I've got exactly the same problem, have tried full path to a file and wildcards with no luck...

when setting up the package does your FTP "browser" work? the directories and files in the wizard seem to be prefixed with the year and it wont let me "browse" to any of the sub directories...but I can browse up a directory...very odd

May 25th, 2007 12:36pm

Can you do a screen print of your settings?

If you are using a local IIS Server is you ftp site configured?

How did you get around the Connection Manager "" can not be found problem?

Thanks

Mike

July 18th, 2007 6:43pm

The Flying Circus wrote:

Can you do a screen print of your settings?

If you are using a local IIS Server is you ftp site configured?

Thanks

Mike

What is this post in relation to?
July 18th, 2007 6:47pm

The Flying Circus wrote:

Thanks

Mike

i'm experiencing the same issue. it appears that the ftp task isn't using the ftp connection manager that i specified for it to use.

is this a bug?

May 23rd, 2008 8:19am

Try this.
  1. Create a variable in your SSIS package; let's assume it's named remotePathVar
  2. FTP Task Editor >> File Transfer >> Remote Parameters >> set IsRemotePathVariable to True
  3. Set RemotePath to User::remotePathVar
  4. Then, set the regular expression on the remotePathVar
June 5th, 2008 11:33am

EQUINEXUS wrote:
Try this.
  1. Create a variable in your SSIS package; let's assume it's named remotePathVar
  2. FTP Task Editor >> File Transfer >> Remote Parameters >> set IsRemotePathVariable to True
  3. Set RemotePath to User::remotePathVar
  4. Then, set the regular expression on the remotePathVar

this didn't resolve my Connection Manager "" can not be found error.

June 6th, 2008 5:05am

Have you tried deleting and recreating the FTP task?

June 8th, 2008 6:13pm

jwelch wrote:

Have you tried deleting and recreating the FTP task?

yes. but i'm still getting the same error message.

June 9th, 2008 4:31am

Hi Duane,

I cannot reproduce the missing connection error you are experiencing.

Can you describe in detail how is the FTP task configured when you get this error?

Do you use any expressions to configure the connections?

Are the connections valid?

Are you using package configurations by any chance?

Thanks

Silviu Guea,

SQL Server Integration Services

June 12th, 2008 9:32pm

Silviu Guea [MSFT] wrote:

Hi Duane,

I cannot reproduce the missing connection error you are experiencing.

Can you describe in detail how is the FTP task configured when you get this error?

i created a new ssis project and opened the default package. i then created an ftp connection manager which i tested successfully. i then added an ftp task to the package. then, i opened the ftp task editor and set the FtpConnection property to the ftp connection manager that i created previously and saved the package.

Do you use any expressions to configure the connections?

no.

Are the connections valid?

yes. the ftp site is active and i've used it for the past 10 years.

Are you using package configurations by any chance?

no.

June 13th, 2008 5:52am

i was just informed in the following thread that the ftp task doesn't work with unix: http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3481785&SiteID=1&mode=1

that would explain why i couldn't get it to work.

June 13th, 2008 7:17am

FTP does work with UNIX, if you want to send a file, but the problem is when you want to get (receive) a file from the Unix box.

I am haveing the same problem.

June 20th, 2008 10:07am

Who would have thought you would ever need to receive files from UNIX ? Has this BUG been fixed yet ? so far I am not impressed with SSIS seems like it has lots of BUGS. I'm also seeing these problems:

1. script task debug.writeline didn't work in the script
  2. breakpoints - didn't stop at the break point in the script
  3. Dts.Log - didn't work in the script

so far everything I needed to do, when the toolbox items dont work (which is often), I have to writ script for it, when the scipts dont work, I end up using batch files and the execute process task. I got a book from Microsoft Press on SSIS (also ridden with errors)read the whole thing and went through the examples. I've worked on this project for hours and I'm just about ready to toss SSISI was able to write a series of batch files faster that did a better job.I like the idea/concept on SSIS but it doesn't appear to be ready for prime-time yet. I wonder if Microsoft has been using a lot of Offshore programmers ? The quality seems to be poorer than usual.

June 23rd, 2008 2:14am

Joe O'C wrote:

FTP does work with UNIX, if you want to send a file, but the problem is when you want to get (receive) a file from the Unix box.

I am haveing the same problem.

could i get a copy of a sample dummy package to see how the ftp task is configured?

tia

June 27th, 2008 6:33am

(SORRY MY PICTURES WILL NOT PASTE.)

Edit the FTP object.

The general tab, all you need worry about is your connection manager.

Either create a new one or edit your current one.

Enter server name or IP. Port 21 is the default.

Enter User name and password.

Options, I have left as default.

Test your connection, if your test connection fails, check with your network team, and ensure that the firewall / Routers are open on the required ports.

If OK, then back to FTP Task editor.

On file transfer Tab

If "IsRemotePathVariable" or "IsLocalPathVariable" True, then you need to use expressions (That is an effort in itself). Other wise, it is straight forward.

The remote path, is the path on the unix box, I just typed it in (PWD from the command line on the UNIX box if you are unsure of the full path).

OverwriteFileAtDest = True (Overwrite the file if it currently exists on the Unix Box)

IsTransferAscii = True (Well it is in our case, but some people do require Binary transfer).

Local Path is another connection manager .

Usage type = "Existing file" As I have created the file previously in the SSIS package, and the simple navigate to the file using Browse

You can create a dummy file to start with, but if the file is deleted, you will see the yellow triangle warning box in the FTP Task, but as long as it is created before the task starts, that is ok.

Hope this helps.

June 27th, 2008 8:37am

Put the name of the ftp connection manager in the local path property. I use a file type connection mgr to send a file to an ftp site. The file connection manager holds the path of the file to send.

August 25th, 2008 4:39pm

The issue is solved typically by a developer making sure clicking on the ellipses:

and then choosing the needed directory (may be the root /)

November 26th, 2013 7:39pm

Hmm, I realize this is an old post but have to ask if you are just bloody clueless or you feel the need to answer any question whether or not your response has any value? 

The issue centers around setting the FTP Task's properties IsRemotePathVariable = True and then assigning a variable, such as Confirm_FullPath,  to the RemoteVariable property.  The error provided is [FTP Task] Error: Variable "Confirm_FullPath" doesn't start with "/".  Where the Confirm_FullPath value is /order.csv.

Not everyone hardcodes a path into their SSIS package.  Some of us use package configurations in a pre-2012 environment or environments in 2012 and later.  Oddly enough it works out great when things change in a production environment.

July 17th, 2015 11:17am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics