SSIS 2008 , 2008 R2 and Visual Studio

Hi. We have a new person whose VS installation on her pc comes with her from a new sister company.  She says she has sql server 2008.  We have 2008 r2.  When I click help in VS on my pc, I see the sql stack under installed products but nothing specific like 2008 or 2008 r2 next to SSIS.

What things can I check for to ensure up front that pkgs she develops will not only connect to our 2008 r2 db's, but also run on our 2008 r2 ssis servers?

if long term we are all going to migrate to 2014 enterprise, are there any additional considerations we need to make?

September 9th, 2015 12:49pm

Hi,

Ideally speaking, you should format her PC and reimage it according to your corporate standards.

If that's not possible or acceptable, then check the following on her PC :

Visual Studio 2008 release, SP and hotfix level

SQL 2008 R2 client should be installed and running at the same SP/hotfix level as yours

Her SQL Server client should have the same components as yours

If my memory doesn't fail (I'm not 100% sure), you'll need Windows SDK on your BIDS clients to compile SSIS script tasks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 1:03pm

Hi db042190,

If I understand correctly, you want to check if a package she develops on her server not only connect to your SQL Server 2008 R2 database, but also run on your SQL Server 2008 R2.

If in this scenario, we can connect to your Integration Services in SQL Server Management Studio and view a list of the packages that the Integration Services service manages to verify whether the package runs on your server. For more details, please refer to the following document:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/ms403394(v=sql.105).aspx

Then we can right-click the package she develops under MSDB folder to select Run Package option, and then we can see whether the package connection manager connects to your sever database in the Connection Managers pane.

After migrating your SQL Server to SQL Server 2014, we can also deploy the packages from SQL Server 2008 to your SQL Server 2014. For more information about how to deploy a package, please see:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms140117(v=sql.105).aspx

Thanks,
Katherine Xiong

September 9th, 2015 11:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics