SSAS 2012 - One Measure Group - Multiple Partitions on Separate Tables

Hello all,

The title says much of it. I read that you can partition measure groups horizontally where each partition gets its own table. But I can't find any way to do this. When I create a measure group I need to chose one table. When I create a partition I need to choose from the table of the measure group.

Right now we the data split in multiple tables because of 'diagonal' measure sparsity. We end up have different measure groups with the same dimensionality pointing to each table. We thought we might gain in performance by having only one measure group as recommended by the BI tool.

Is it worth the trouble?

Not much info about this on the web either.

Thanks for your time.

Donald

August 20th, 2015 12:43pm

Hi TheDon69,

According to your description, you want to know how to partition a measure group with multiple fact tables. Right?

In Analysis Services, the original partition for a measure group is based on a single fact table in the data source view of the cube. You should also include the other fact tables in data source view with dimension tables related. Then when you new a partition, these tables will appear as available tables for that measure group.

Reference:
Change a partition source to use a different fact table
Partitions (Analysis Services - Multidimensional Data)

Regards,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 5:09am

Hi,

If u use querybinding u can just write the query based on the other tables for the same measuregroup. Its just need to be sure that these tables have the same structure as the structure of the table u used for your measuregroup.

August 21st, 2015 8:55am

Guys, thanks for your replies.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to assign a partition with any other table or named query than the one described for the measure group.

My data source view has all my dimension and fact tables. A bunch of them have the same dimension schema (dim same foreign keys, different measures). Even creating a new cube I get one measure group per table and I'm stuck there.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but this is getting me crazy!

Thanks again

Donald

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 3:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics