SQL state 28000, SQL server error: 18456, Severity 14 Stat 8

Hi

About SQL state 28000, SQL server error: 18456, Severity 14 Stat 8

One of my clients is a dental office and I have to upgrade the system.

The old system: windows server 2003 with SQL server 2005 and 8 xp -clients.

The new system: workgroups of 9 win7 computers and SQL server 2008R on one of them.

After upgrading every things work fine except X-ray software. It connects to SQL server by ODBC SQL client and SQL-user. At starting the software the error occur (state 28000) and I have to reinsert the username and password before it works (the user is a SQL-user). The password that is reinserted after the error occurs is the same password used in the configuration of the ODBC SQL Server Native client10.0.  The username and password is inserted in a window that occurs after the error message. The same problem is exist in all computers also in the one with SQL-server 2008R.

All the users of the computers are administrative.

The same username and password has been used in the configuration of the ODBC SQL Server Native client10.0 and connection has been made successfully.

The same password and username has been used in the old system without any problem.

I can connect to SQL server management studio using the same username and password.

SQL-server is configured to accept windows and SQL connection (SQL server and windows Authentication mode).

I disabled windows firewall but it did not help.

I tried to alter SQL server services from networks service to local system but it did not help.

When I investigate the error in SQL-server I got this:

Error: 18456, Serverity: 14 State: 8

Login failed or user xray. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided.[client: <local machine>]

Login succeeded for user xray. Connection made using SQL Server authentication. [client: <local machine>]

Login succeeded for user nt authority networkservice. Connection made using Windows authentication. [client: <local machine>]

I run out of ideas and cannot solve the problem. The problem is very noisy for the dental staff and I have to find out something.

I will appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Nebras 

August 28th, 2015 1:39pm

This refers to Excel, but is the same problem for any ODBC connection.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/277600

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 1:56pm

Hi

About SQL state 28000, SQL server error: 18456, Severity 14 Stat 8

One of my clients is a dental office and I have to upgrade the system.

The old system: windows server 2003 with SQL server 2005 and 8 xp -clients.

The new system: workgroups of 9 win7 computers and SQL server 2008R on one of them.

After upgrading every things work fine except X-ray software. It connects to SQL server by ODBC SQL client and SQL-user. At starting the software the error occur (state 28000) and I have to reinsert the username and password before it works (the user is a SQL-user). The password that is reinserted after the error occurs is the same password used in the configuration of the ODBC SQL Server Native client10.0.  The username and password is inserted in a window that occurs after the error message. The same problem is exist in all computers also in the one with SQL-server 2008R.

All the users of the computers are administrative.

The same username and password has been used in the configuration of the ODBC SQL Server Native client10.0 and connection has been made successfully.

The same password and username has been used in the old system without any problem.

I can connect to SQL server management studio using the same username and password.

SQL-server is configured to accept windows and SQL connection (SQL server and windows Authentication mode).

I disabled windows firewall but it did not help.

I tried to alter SQL server services from networks service to local system but it did not help.

When I investigate the error in SQL-server I got this:

Login failed or user xray. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided.[client: <local machine>]

Login succeeded for user xray. Connection made using SQL Server authentication. [client: <local machine>]

Login succeeded for user nt authority networkservice. Connection made using Windows authentication. [client: <local machine>]

I run out of ideas and cannot solve the problem. The problem is very noisy for the dental staff and I have to find out something.

I will appreciate any help.

Best regards,

Nebras 

If you're using the right password and you just migrated, it sounds like the login is using the old instance's SID and is orphaned.  Try this to see if it helps, do this in each DB:

EXEC sp_change_users_login 'REPORT'

Then you can use 'Auto_fix' or 'Update_one' to fix them.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174378(v=sql.110).aspx

August 28th, 2015 2:22pm

HI. 

I do not have any orphaned user because I did fix it after the migration. 

August 29th, 2015 1:46pm

Sory, It did not help.

(This refers to Excel, but is the same problem for any ODBC connection.)

August 29th, 2015 1:47pm

check account is not locks..
August 29th, 2015 2:29pm

In the above error log it shows failure connection for user 'Xray' and later Successful too. So where you able to connect succesfully ?

You said you can login to SQL Server using SSMS using same credentials. But cannot login using the same while using the application interface. Can you post the error screen from application side .

To reitterate and reconfirm your applications are using SQL authenticatin and not Windows/AD account login right ?

August 29th, 2015 2:33pm

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/c342ca77-e023-4ef0-926d-2365c7f38e47/unable-to-access-access-form-after-migration-to-sql-server-2008-r2?forum=sqldataaccess

Please see this link too

August 29th, 2015 2:50pm

Hi.

I will post screen as fast I can.

I can connect to the SQL server using the software interface I just have to reinsert the username and password every time I start the software.

Yes the application uses SQL authentication.

This report is after reinserting the username and password at the application side 

August 29th, 2015 3:09pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics