SQL service pack Install problem

I have 5 SQL server 2008 r2 boxes. When I installed sp3 KB-2979597-x64-ENU.exe, two of them got only five items showed up in the add/remove programs. They are "sql server 2008 r2 native client, sql server browser, sql server 2008 r2 setup (English), sql server system clr types (x64), and sql server vss writer". However the other three servers got four different items "service pack 3 for sql server 2008 r2 (kb2979597) (64-bit), service pack 3 for sql server browser (kb2979597), service pack 3 for sql server system clr types (64-bit) (kb2979597), and service pack 3 for sql server vss writer (64-bit) (kb2979597)".

I extracted the original exe and use the setup.exe with the command line "setup.exe /quiet /IAcceptSQLServerLicenseTerms" (without quote). I did not get the visible errors. What did I do wrong? Help, Thanks!!

August 20th, 2015 2:37pm

Hello,

Please run the Discovery Report and verified the version/build number for each feature installed of each SQL Server instance. The following post will show you how to run the report:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2009/11/13/sql-server-2008-discovery-report.aspx

Share the results with us.

Examine the Summary.txt log file of each installation and make sure all the features were updated successfully and the build number of each feature prior to apply the update (you will see a discovery report at the top of the log).

The following article will help you locate the Summary.txt log file on disk:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(v=sql.100).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2015 2:58pm

see event log and see Summary.txt
August 20th, 2015 3:01pm

I followed that page. I can't click to run "Installed SQL Server features discovery report" link. It just flashed and went away. I could not find the report inside the log folder too. I tried launch the Installation center as admin but still not working.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2015 8:06pm

I followed that page. I can't click to run "Installed SQL Server features discovery report" link. It just flashed and went away. I could not find the report inside the log folder too. I tried launch the Installation center as admin but still not working.

Hi Jake,

Could you please share us the content of Summary.txt log? By default, the log can be found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

August 25th, 2015 2:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics