SQL Server Upgrades through Visual Studio

I have deployed an application using Visual Studio but have manually deployed SQL Server Express as part of my application installation.

I am keep to use the prerequisites facility to install SQL Server 2012 Express but need to know how this will operate. For users with SQL Server Express 2005/2008 already installed, will they be prompted to do an update and if so, will the database be updated as well ?  Will this be a seamless operation ?

Most of my application users are not very computer literate so I am keen to keep the process simple, smooth and 'automatic'.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Harry Meadows

September 2nd, 2015 8:25pm

Hi Harry,

It depends on that how you deploy SQL Server 2012 Express in your application. If you only perform a new installation of SQL Server 2012 Express by using parameter /action= install, the existing SQL Server Express 2005/2008 will not be impacted and no update will occur. Users will run SQL Server 2012 Express side by side with SQL Server Express 2005/2008.

However, if you design additional logic that detects existing SQL Server Express and upgrades it to SQL Server 2012 Express by using parameter /action= upgrade in your application, SQL Server Express 2005/2008 will be upgraded to SQL Server 2012 Express. All the databases will be updated as well, this will be a seamless operation.

For more details about embedding SQL Server Express in an application, please review the following blog and similar thread.
How to Embed SQL Server Express in an Application
Installing SQL Server 2014 Express package as ClickOnce prerequisite

Thanks,
Lydia

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 11:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics