SQL Server Express System Requirements

Hello,

I'm building a small-scale ERP application for a small-sized company. They don't have a lot of data to store and the ERP will only have three users. For that reason I'll be using the Express edition which according to MSDN can run on Windows 7 and 8; so I'm guessing n actual server isn't required and that it can run on a desktop. However, despite that, the only Intel processor MSDN states is the Xeon. Does that mean Core i7 won't do?

Thanks in advance

Seif

May 26th, 2015 7:56am

The following memory and processor requirements apply to all editions of SQL Server 2014:

Component

Requirement

Memory[1]

Minimum:

Express Editions: 512 MB

All other editions: 1 GB

Recommended:

Express Editions: 1 GB

All other editions: At least 4 GB and should be increased as database size increases to ensure optimal performance.

Processor Speed

Minimum:

• x86 Processor: 1.0 GHz

• x64 Processor: 1.4 GHz

Recommended: 2.0 GHz or faster

Processor Type

• x64 Processor: AMD Opteron, AMD Athlon 64, Intel Xeon with Intel EM64T support, Intel Pentium IV with EM64T support

• x86 Processor: Pentium III-compatible processor or faster

[1]The minimum memory required for installing the Data Quality Server component in Data Quality Services (DQS) is 2 GB of RAM, which is different from the SQL Server 2014 minimum memory requirement. For information about installing DQS, see Install Data Quality Services.

more info 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2015 8:20am

SQL Server express can only allow 1 Socket (Processor) or 4 cores therefore you can choose to run SQL Express on Windows 7 or Windows 8 however you must be aware of limitations such as:

1 Physical CPU (up to 4 cores) , 1 GB of Memory Use and Up to  10 GB Per Database

May 26th, 2015 8:23am

Hello,

However, despite that, the only Intel processor MSDN states is the Xeon. Does that mean Core i7 won't do?

Thanks in advance

Seif

Hi Seif,

You can run SQL Server Express on a computer with Core i7 Processor, but please note the limitations of SQL Server Express as other post.

There is also a blog for your reference.
http://www.support.myvisionexpress.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/992/206/microsoft-sql-server-2012-express-limitations-and-my-vision-express

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2015 10:56pm

Thanks Lydia for your help and the details you referenced.
May 27th, 2015 1:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics