SQL Server Error 53 and SQL Server Error 17

SQL server 2000 with remote clients at 3 locations. Sites had been connected via leased line. We switched everything to internet/VPN. Everything works, but a several times a day, the clients receive this error:

Microsoft SQL Server Login
Connection failed:
SQL State: '01000'
SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]
Connection open
(connect ( ) )
Connection failed:
SQL State: '08001'
SQL Server Error: 17

If they exit and log back in, then it's OK. Here's what has changed:

New ISP at HQ and remote sites with new static IPs. New firewalls/VPN setup. VPNs setup to alloow all traffic between sites. Internal IP addresses/computer names did not change. Only exception is the HQ gateway is different, but all network settings were updated to reflect that. I have all of the remote firewalls pinging the HQ firewall every 30 seconds and have not seen any hint of a problem in the firewall logs. Seems to be isolated to SQL. None of the SQL server or client configs were touched. I know little about SQL. What do the errors above mean and does anyone have any ideas? THANKS!

September 22nd, 2007 4:44am

Hi

Were you able to resolve your above problem?

We are having experiencing the same problem. I have some users at the remote sites, who have access to our company's network, uses a laptop, but for some reason they are not able to connect to our server.

They are getting the same error as you are.

We checked their database accounts, and is fine.. not sure what is going on...

Can you give us some advise.

Thanks

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 13th, 2007 6:36pm

Hi,

I found this about your issue http://www.dbforums.com/archive/index.php/t-991536.html. It is very similar case. They have had a virus.

Maybe it helps.

Kind Regards,

Janos

November 13th, 2007 7:09pm

Hello!

I suggest you reading the following KBs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888228/en-us

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306

November 13th, 2007 7:36pm

Hi

Let me explain u our problem in details:

- We have our server located here, and one of our database is on this.

- We are connecting to database via Access frontend

- All of the local users + some of the remote site users (california, Fl etc)

- But there are some of the remote site users, when they double click the access database they get the following error:

Connection failed:
Connection open
(connect ( ) )
Connection failed:

when they say 'Ok' it asks for SQL server login, where we are using trusted connections. I can see that it is pointing to the right server name.

This is basically same thing for all users, but it does not work only for this remote users. These people are using laptops, and they are using VPN to connect to the network. They are also able to ping the server.

Their database logins are also fine...

Do you think i have to do something on client side or server side?

Thanks

November 13th, 2007 9:35pm

Hi All,

This is the Solution on Following Error.

Connection failed
SQL State '01000'
SQL Server error 53
[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]Connection Open
Connection failed
SQL State '08001
SQL Error 17
[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I have also faced this problem with MSSQL Server 2005 Express Edition then i check connectivity from ODBC i give the solution pls go step by step

Start => Control Pane => Open Administrative Tools => Data Sources (ODBC)

u get window with tabs

Go Tab - User DSN => Click on ADD => opemed window => Create New Data Source => SQL Native Client or SQL Server => Finish

You find New Window Create New Data Source To SQL Server

Name = SQLEXPRESS

Description = SQLEXPRESS

select Server or type the name of Server with correct path

Server = COMP1\SQLEXPRESS (your computer name \ SQLEXPRESS)

Click on Next => On next window you have choose Window or Server Authentication and click on Next

Now you have find new window with Change Default Database and Attach Database FileName, if you want to chand default db then click and change. go to Next

On next window you just click on Finish and see the Magic you have find your connectivity.

Test the Data Source

Microsoft SQL Native Client Version 09.00.1399

Running connectivity tests...

Attempting connection
Connection established
Verifying option settings
Disconnecting from server

TESTS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY!

if you shown this msg then you have done. and click on ok Button

you have find your SQL Server added in your ODBC.

Best of Luck Friends

• Proposed as answer by Murat Bayar Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Marked as answer by Naomi NModerator Friday, February 11, 2011 3:47 PM
September 20th, 2008 4:20pm

Thursday, November 6, 2008

I just came across a user connecting to a SQL Server 2000 database using Access 2003 and she was getting this same error.

Connection failed:
Connection open
(connect ( ) )
Connection failed:

After determining that the user was able to PING / reach the SQL Server I then checked her ODBC to determine that it was not functional. The problem encountered was that the users ODBC connection to the SQL Server was using TCP/IP and something network related would not allow that Network libraryto work. The issue was resolved by simply changing the Network libraries to Named Pipes and now the user is able to connect to the server without error.

Take Care & God Bless ~

www.AlienTex.com

November 6th, 2008 7:31pm

Sound likes your VPN connection is unstable or dropping out. Try increasing your SQL server connection time out (Default is 600 ms)

November 7th, 2008 3:51am

Thanks very much, this worked perfectly!!
May 7th, 2009 11:37am

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to ***************

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 10061)

June 30th, 2009 4:09pm

plz help!!fast =)
June 30th, 2009 4:10pm

plz help!!fast =)

If you are using SQL Express 2005 and getting this error, try this. By default after you install the Named Pipe and TCP/IP connections are disabled. Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager, Go to Network Configuration, Click on Protocols and on the right side Right click on the Named Pipes and enable it and do the same for the TCP/IP as well and that should fix the problem.
  • Marked as answer by LekssEditor Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:42 AM
July 9th, 2009 4:33am

Thanks alot Mr.Bhaski_r. It's helped alot.
But also users, please give the pipe name correclty when u r connecting from access in the configuration of ODBC
July 17th, 2009 6:04pm

Thanks a ton Nitin !! I desperately needed a solution for this problem to complete my project. It was a real pain in the neck.... your post is a godsend to me :)
September 20th, 2009 4:49pm

Connection failed
SQL State '01000'
SQL Server error 53
Connection failed
SQL State '08001
SQL Error 17
[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I get the above error on a random basis.  It will be ok for a week then I would suddenly get this error. Once I do a reboot it works fine again.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

October 5th, 2009 5:42pm

Connection failed
SQL State '01000'
SQL Server error 53
Connection failed
SQL State '08001
SQL Error 17

I get the above error on a random basis.  It will be ok for a week then I would suddenly get this error. Once I do a reboot it works fine again.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

October 5th, 2009 5:42pm

Yup, that worked for me!
I have a customized version of SQL for a particular application, so I had to find the Network Configuration Manager by myself. The executable name is SVRNETCN.exe and it was located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn
Thanks!

January 27th, 2010 1:17am

Take a look to the bhaski_r post, 6 post above ;)
January 27th, 2010 1:19am

I would like to add to bhaski & Nitin's excellent posts that DNS configuration can be another source of these SQL Server 53/17 errors.  If you have an application that relies on user or system DSN (ODBC) entries that sepcify a server name by FQDN, make sure you can ping by FQDN --not hostname!  Flaky DNS or an incorrect (or missing) Primary DNS suffix can also cause this.

February 18th, 2010 2:20am

Hello,

I was facing similar error messages and as a solution I had to open Port 1433/TCP and 1434/UDP on my SQL 2008-Server and afterwards all communication on different clients is runnig fine!

April 29th, 2010 2:48pm

Hello   I am having the same problems. Can someone please explain to me how come I can't connect on a brand new install of SQL Server 2008? Why is it so difficult? I set up MySql in a third of the time and it works on the first time.

I would like to work with Sql server not become a MS debugger. Any ideas how I can connect?

My Error is: 

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

July 13th, 2010 9:04pm

Hello,

I am having a bit of a similar problem.

I have installed SQL Server 2008 Developer edition and i can connect to a different instance of the database within the same domain. (ex: similar ip --> my ip is 243.243.5.88 and the DB ip is 243.243.15.55)

I have another database on a different domain (ip address --> 15.16.17.18) and i cannot connect to this instance.

I get teh followin error:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to 15.16.17.18.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=53&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

The strange part is my collegue can connect to the database on the other domain.

I can ping from CMD to that ip address and also  remote desktop to the machine on the other domain. Its just thru sQL i cannot connect.

Please let me know what is that i missed or messed up?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Rajesh

July 30th, 2010 2:36pm

Is your collegue able to connect to the same database that you are having problem with?

In most cases when you have problem with connecting to the Database, the problem might not be network related. Please check me comment above and in your case make sure TCP/IP connection is not dissabled within the Instance itself.

The connections are seperate for each instance. Even though all the instances live in the same server, one might work and the other might not. So pls make sure that the Named Pipe and TCP/IP are not dissabled.

Detailed steps are given above in my earlier posting. Let us know if you are still having problems.

August 2nd, 2010 11:08pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my collegue is able to connect to the same database.

I have made sure that the TCP/IP and named pipes are enabled as well.

I still have the problem connecting to the database.

Regards

Rajesh

August 12th, 2010 4:31pm

Hi Rajesh,

kindly also check whether SQL Serve Browser service is running on remote machine as if this service is stopped then how u can get the server information from remote machine to connect it from client side

Regards,

Adil

September 16th, 2010 1:16pm

THIS IS AWESOME !!!

I have been trying for days to get SQL to work thanks so much for your info

December 3rd, 2010 10:48pm

Turning ON TCP/IP worked the trick. Thanks heaps!

Guru

December 8th, 2010 11:01am

HI Nitin, I did what you suggested here and keep getting this error during the test (i.e. the test does not run suceesfully): "Connection failed: SQLState: 08001 SQL Server Error: -1 [MS] [SQL Native Client] SQL Network INterfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFFF]....." CAN YOU HELP HERE PLS?

We simply cannot create an external connetion to the data base, athoguth the port 1433 is allowed and the remote access is enabled as well.... Always getting the "An error has occurred while estblishing a connection to the server. .... (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server) (MS SQL Server, Error: 53)" error message.

PLS HELP!!

THANKS

December 13th, 2010 1:13pm

Hi there,

today we had the same problem at one of our clients.

The cause of this was the installation of a second instance and missing the check at "Start SQL Browser...". All the ODBC-Sources at the clients were configured to use "dynamic port" and the server too. After starting and enabling incl. "start automatically" the service "SQL Browser" everything was working again.

During troubleshooting we realized that sometimes an client connected without any error, but most of the time the user got the errot message.

Alex

February 11th, 2011 2:29pm

As I understand this is a generic error message when the configuration parameters provided do not allow the connection to the database.

For me, it was the port number. By default, under the client configuration, Dynamic port is set. In my case, the DB was on Port 3748 so Dynamic will work 1% of the time if that port was selected... to change this, uncheck thedynamic port checkbox and type in the port you want - 3748.

Also, if you have sql server setup as a node - \\sqlserver\node then the server alias will be 'node' and server name will be 'server\node'.

SQL Server nodes are a pain for Access. You have to create an alias as the '\' in the name will cause Access to not understand the servername...

July 7th, 2011 2:49pm

Hi tvdirekt,

Hope you have already checked the configuration manager to enable TCP/IP and named pipe to get it working. Even after this if you get the error its worth trying to ask your network administrator to check if your IP is allowed to perform external connections. At times the organisation firewall might block remote connections.

Hope that should be helpful to resolve your error.

Regards

Rajesh

September 20th, 2011 2:08pm

Just change the ODBC driver from SQL Server to SQL Server Native Client 10.0.

October 3rd, 2011 2:43pm

Thanks this helps!
October 14th, 2011 3:13am

HI Nitin,

with your help I solve my issue, you are a genius!!

thank you for you support.

best regrads.

November 6th, 2011 7:00am

This is exactly the answer that resolved my particular situation.   I did also have to restart SQL Server services, then reconfigure my ODBC connection.  Thank you so much for the answer.  My website went from taking over a half hour to return a particular (lengthy) report to about 30 seconds.  *whew!*
March 2nd, 2012 7:09pm

Hello Everyone,

Following Error can be solved as  

Connection failed
SQL State '01000'
SQL Server error 53
Connection failed
SQL State '08001
SQL Error 17

Check the connectivity from ODBC as illustrated below: 

Start > Control Panel > Open Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)

You will get a new window opened 

go to the tab : User DSN > Click on Add will provide you a new window >Create New Data Source > SQL Native Client or SQL Server > Finish

Now, you will get a New Window Create New Data Source to SQL Server

(I had issue with MSSQL server 2005 express edition)

Name : SQLEXPRESS

Description : SQLEXPRESS

either select the server or name the server with accurate path

Server = Admin\SQLEXPRESS (name of your computer \ SQLEXPRESS)

Click Next > In this window you have to select between window or Server Authentication and then click Next

Again you will get a New Window with Change Default DB and Attach DB FileName, to change defaut database select the change default database otherwise attach DB file name and Click on NEXT;

Now just Click the Finish button and you will get the problem solved as after doing this you will find your connectivity.

Important: Test the Data Source

MS SQL Native Client Version

Processing Tests for Connectivity.....

Attempting connection
Connection Established
Verifying option Settings
Disconnecting from Server

TESTS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY!

After getting the pop-up for "TESTS FINISHED SUCCESSFULLY"; just Click "OK" as you have finished with adding ODBC in your SQL Server

Check ODBC, surely you will find your SQL Server added there

A very GOOD LUCK to YOU GUYS!!

Henry Desouza

Technical Support Engineer

• Proposed as answer by Jack Rider Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:21 AM
October 1st, 2012 9:35am

thanks bro

it help me alot.gud work

March 25th, 2014 1:37pm

Sorry, but this solution  Will I have in the equip with the problem or in the  server of DB?

Thanks 

April 21st, 2014 3:28pm

Its default gateway ip issue...
December 8th, 2014 5:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics