SQL Server Agent Jobs are not sending notification emails.
Hi guys, hopefully someone could point me in the right direction. We have configured several maintenance plans to backup our databases. In the properties of the agent jobs we then set up notifications to be emailed if the job completes or is successful. However that is not working. It was working at one point, but since we have moved to sp3 it stopped. Database mail has been configured and we are able to send test emails. The operator has been added, and also mail has been enabled on the sql server agent properties itself. we have tried restarting the agent, deleting and recreating the database mail setup. Also used our secondary exchange server. Both servers work when we send test emails by right clicking on the database mail menu in the SSMS.

we are able to get notifications using notification task within the sub-plans of the maintenance plans. However this should be working through the notifications through the agent jobs.

Below is our environment
sql server 2008 enterprise r2 64 bit
server 2008 r2 enterprise, running as a vmware client on a vmware 4.0 server.
March 1st, 2012 5:21pm

Hi Marlon Dyer,

It seems that the Database Mail works ok, but cannot send the notification mail via SQL Server Agent job. Could you please check the configuration of the Alert System on the SQL Server Agent properties to see if you have enabled the notification with appropriate mail profile? Please have a look at this similar thread: SQL Server Agent Job Notifications Not Working.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2012 6:25am

I realise this post is well old but I have this issue too at the moment and cannot find the answer anywhere.

I have had it before too but last time I just restarted the Agent and it all worked. This time this is not helping.

All settings are correct. I have to servers with identical configurations and one will send alerts but the other won't

and yes, both have identical mail profiles and are set in the Agent for alerting.

They can both send mail by

EXEC dbo.sp_notify_operator
   @profile_name = N'myMailProfile',
   @name = N'DBA',
   @subject = N'Test Notification',
   @body = N'This is a test of notification via e-mail.' ;
its just alertignthat does not work.

Its infuriating. Surely a permissions thing but which? I even tried running the SQL Agent as a sysadmin!

August 20th, 2013 3:09pm

I am having this exact same issue like David Bridge.  I can send test emails, dbo.sp_notify_operator works fine, but sql agent will simply not send an email...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 30th, 2014 7:38pm

Try removing the hyphen in "e-mail" -> "email. It worked for me. Could be something to do with the collation of server msdb.
August 3rd, 2015 2:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics