SQL Server 2012 SP2 doesn't even try to install on Windows 10.0.10240

As I have had a problem with SQL Server 2014 SP1 Express on my laptop (The cluster size snafu 3072 vs. 4096), I am now trying to install SQL Server 2012 SP2 (MSDN).

But it doesn't even get out of the gate!  After I click Next (or perhaps OK) in the license key screen, up comes the "Please wait while ... completes the current operation" little popup (paraphrasing) and then after a second it disappears.  At this point we're done, finis, no more, nada.

The main installer window remains visible, but that's it.  The installation process is no longer running.  This is confirmed by the fact that, when I close the main installer window, it just disappears.

If the installation process was still running, I would be asked to confirm the cancellation.

I can't believe how much time I've spent trying to install SQL Server.

Is there anyone, anywhere who can help?

I've already run sfc /scannow and the DISM utility (The Restore Health option), both completing successfully. 

This is a brand new windows 10.0.10240 installation, so please don't suggest that I perform a refresh or some similar action.

September 10th, 2015 6:10pm

Is there an error message in the SQL Server setup logs?  Check the summary.txt from the Setup Bootstrap\Log path similar to:

%Program Files%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT)

&#

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 9:25am

Hi Charles,

According to your description, do you mean that the next license terms wizard doesnt appear after clicking next button of product key wizard?

If that is the case, this issue can be caused by the remnants of previous SQL Server installation, I suggest you uninstall SQL Server completely by deleting the registry keys, then re-install your SQL Server 2012 sp2 edition. Detailed steps are as below:
1. Uninstall the existing SQL Server and all the components from the control panel.
2. Backup the registry.
3. Delete the following keys in registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.
5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.
6. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer.
7. Reboot the machine.
8. Install  required components before re-install the SQL Server 2012 edition with sp2.
9. Re-install SQL Server 2012 with sp2 using the installation wizard.

If it still doesnt work, you can go to the temp folder to view specific errors or warnings and post them to us for analysis. Detailed steps that check the messages from temp folder are as follows.

1.Click on start->run, then type %temp% and press enter.

2.Look for SQLSetup.log and SQLSetup_1.log.

Best Regards,

Ice Fan 

September 14th, 2015 2:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics