SQL Server 2012 Data Tools: Integration Services: SMO task fails using Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate installed
I have both SQL Server 2012 Developer and Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate installed.  I also installed the Sql Server Data Tools - BI package.  I started a new project to transfer databases from an old machine to a new one.  I selected the Transfer Database task.  I set up the connections to the old and new servers, specified the databases and file locations.  However, when attempting to run the package, it fails with the error:

Method not found: 'Boolean Microsoft.SqlServer.DTS.Design.VisualStudio2012Utils.IsVisualStudio2012ProInstalled()'.

Seeing this, I added a C# project with a reference to the Microsoft.SqlServer.DTS.Design namespace.  Exploring this namespace, I found that there *is* a method called IsVisualStudio2012UltimateInstalled() but not the method referred to in the error message.

Since Visual Studio Ultimate is a superset of Visual Studio Professional, either the namespace should include the method reported missing or the Transfer Database task of Integration Services should accept IsVisualStudio2012UltimateInstalled() as a proxy for the missing method.
March 25th, 2015 10:49am

As per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24745396/isvisualstudio2012proinstalled-method-not-found-error-when-running-an-ssis-pac

running

1. Open the Developer Command Prompt for VS212 as Administrator

2. execute the command cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies"

3. execute the command gacutil /if Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Design.dll

4. restart Visual Studio

Fixes this issue

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 11:11am

That did the trick.  But why?

More importantly, why does VS Ultimate not work out of the box for this task?

• Edited by G Britton 11 hours 25 minutes ago
March 25th, 2015 3:38pm

It happens in mixed installation scenarios, and/or when there are third party tools/addons to VS or SSMS installed.

If you can repro, please feel free to submit a bug to MS Connect.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 11:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics