SQL Server 2012 - Relocate Jobs and FTData Folder

Hello,

I'm looking for some help on how to properly move the Jobs and FTData folders. I've recently relocated the system databases to a new drive and missed a few items which I am currently cleaning up   (Backup, FTData, JOBS, repldata).

I've found several references to copying the FTData folder to the new location and then changing a registry key but I cannot seem to find the key in question for a clustered instance of SQL 2012 or any up to date articles showing the procedure. I also cannot seem to find an article on how to relocate the JOBS folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

September 9th, 2015 7:29pm

Hi Josh,

Please refer below useful links;

For move the Jobs

How can I move SQL Server Agent Jobs to different systems?

For move the FTData folder

How to move, copy, and back up full-text catalog folders and files

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 7:39pm

Hello Kamlesh,

Thank you for the reply.

For the Jobs move would you please clarify? I am looking to move the default location of the jobs to a different drive on the same clustered instance, the article you shared shows how to move the jobs to a new server but I do not understand how this would change the default location they are created. After saving the file and running it from the new location does it become stored there? Will any new jobs being created in SSMS be stored in the new location? My apologies if I am misunderstanding the functionality of this folder.

The second article you shared I looked at before posting but was confused when I was unable to find any registry keys associated. I do not see a 'Search' key to continue down the path of backing up for restore/modification.

Path I find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\

Path I cannot find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Search\

Or any of the sub keys listed under 'Search'.

I do not believe we are actually using this functionality but still have an FTData folder that I would like to move to the new location of the system databases.

Current path: S:\MSSQL11.SQL1\MSSQL\FTData

Proposed path: G:\MSSQL11.SQL1\MSSQL\FTData

My current understanding is the that the 'SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Launcher' service relies on this folder, is that correct?

Thank you again for the assistance.

Best regards,

Josh

September 10th, 2015 10:46am

Hey Josh,

Please follow all steps mentioned in below article to move default location of the jobs to a different drive.

Moving Default Directories in SQL Server

For Second concern regarding move the FTData folder, Please browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOSFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<MSSQL...>\Setup change the value of FullTextDefaultPath to the new location

I would suggest you to please look into a nice article by Allen McGuire

Changing the Default Installation Paths for SQL Server

The filter daemon launcher service is there solely to launch instances of the search filter daemons, they are launched by separate processes for security reasons.

How to manually override the path of a full-text index in SQL Server

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 3:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics