SQL Server 2008 Installation Hangs on Install_sql_tools_Cpu64_Action: Write_NativeImage64. Generating Native Images
Hi, I have been trying to Install Sql Server 2008 on my 64 bit Vista Ultimate machine. It gets about 70% through the installation and hangs on the part that says "Install_sql_tools_Cpu64_Action: Write_NativeImage64. Generating Native Images" I have tried for the last 3 days with no luck. I have tried un-installing and deleting directories but no luck. I have scene several posts about the same problem but no solutions except one guy who uninstalled every thing but SQL Server 2008 and re-installed. I have tried that but it did not help.
May 10th, 2009 9:49pm

Hi Joneil001,

Try looking at these links first:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/1e43e7c0-13ba-4dcf-b479-aa0fca895912/
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/960127

You can always explicitly uncheck the 64-bit client tools and post-install run the x86 client tools installer as a last resort.

Hope this helps,
Derek Comingore
SQL Server MVP
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 11th, 2009 12:22am

Derek

Thank you for answering my post. The first link does not seem to solve the problem. I follow the links and I don't see a solution, just suggestions to solve the problem. As of the last post in the chain it is not solved. The second link seems to suggest a 32 bit vs a 64 bit issue. It suggest that I could install the 32 bit version of SQL Server. I'm not sure how to do that. I have the DVD for SQL Server Developer edtion. Is that an option on the install?

I have VS2008 installed but I believe it is the 64 bit version. Do I need to uninstall VS2008 and then try to install SQL Server 2008 and then try to install VS2008 again?

Jim
May 11th, 2009 4:32am

Hi, I solved this problem by killing the 'NGEN.exe' process when it appeared hung. The installation carried on and completed perfectly.

hope this helps

• Proposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:59 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by Shanky_621MVP Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:59 AM
September 3rd, 2013 4:33am

Killing the 'NGEN.exe' process after a long wait at "Generating Native Images" worked for me as well.
January 10th, 2014 11:07pm

I had this issue as killing NGEN froze the entire process including taskmanager. Used restore point and then reinstalled using all the defaults including running setup with Admin. Must of mucked up my  custom install on the first try.
May 29th, 2015 5:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics