SQL Server 2008 64-bit - Master Data Services troubleshoot database create Error
I am getting the following error when trying to create a new database in SQL server using MDS

Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.ConfigurationException: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values. ---> System.Data.SqlTypes.SqlNullValueException: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.
           at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBuffer.get_String()
           at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.DatabaseUtilities.GetDatabases(DatabaseServerInformation server)
           at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.Commands.NewMasterDataServicesDatabase.InternalProcessRecord()
           at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.Commands.ConfigurationCmdlet.ProcessRecord()
           at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()
           --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
          at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.InstanceManager.Execute(Command command)
           at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.InstanceManager.CreateMasterDataServicesDatabase(DatabaseServerInformation serverInformation, DatabaseInformation databaseInformation)
           at Microsoft.MasterDataServices.Configuration.UI.MdsDatabase.CreateNewDatabase()

How can this error be resolved?

Thanks

February 2nd, 2012 11:58am

Hi Galloping,

This issue occurs when another database on the same Database Engine instance is either offline or in the process of being restored. When you create the Master Data Services database, make sure that all databases on the same Database Engine instance are online and not being restored.

If you have any other question, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 6th, 2012 6:56am

I have this problem, yet all databases on the same database engine are online.
March 24th, 2015 7:22pm

Can you run following query and let me know the results?

select [name], [collation_name], HAS_DBACCESS([name]) HasAccess
from sys.databases 
order by sys.databases.name

March 24th, 2015 8:03pm

name    collation_name    HasAccess
Audit    NULL    1
master    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
MDS    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
model    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
msdb    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
Northwind    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
ReportServer$SQL2008R2    Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS    1
ReportServer$SQL2008R2TempDB    Latin1_General_CI_AS_KS_WS    1
StorageMor    NULL    1
tempdb    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS    1
March 25th, 2015 9:19am

Thanks.

I think the code can not handle collation_name is NULL.

Do you know how these 2 database can be created with collation NULL. I didn't find a way to create such database on my machine.

Audit    NULL    1
StorageMor    NULL    1

If I can repro it, I can push a fix in the next SQL Server CU. It will be available in next couple months.
For time being, you have to change them to use some collation, in the database property or move them to some other databases

March 25th, 2015 4:45pm

Just double check the code and history.

The bug is fixed in 2011/08/23 and made into SQL 2012 RTM. So I assume you are using 2008 R2, which mainstream support is ended. I am not able to push a fix to that.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178534.aspx

collation_name

sysname

Collation for the database. Acts as the default collation in the database.

NULL = Database is not online or AUTO_CLOSE is set to ON and the database is closed.

The only option would be fix the NULL collation databases.

March 25th, 2015 5:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics