SQL Server - shrinking log files

I have a database which has log file size 300 GB. As the drive is filling up i need to clear the space on the drive, for that i have to shrink the log file. 

Unfortunately i dont have option to take backup of the database.And i am not able to shrink the file now.

Is there any way to shrink the log file with out taking backup of it ?

T

May 26th, 2015 10:40am

DBCC SHRINKFILE (logicalLogFileName)
To find logicalLogFileName following command has to be ran.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2015 10:49am

USE dbname

GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE (2,100)

But I think because you do not have a free space you will get an error. Let us know how was it going.

May 26th, 2015 12:26pm

What is recovery model of database. If it is simple you dont need to perform transaction log backup to truncate logs and then shrink it
May 26th, 2015 1:52pm

Run DBCC SHRINKFILE(yourTLogName) command. There is an optional second parameter for the requested size to shrink it.
May 29th, 2015 1:34am

Hello - We need to know what is preventing log truncation. Can you query this and let us know the value for this column for your database:  

SELECT log_reuse_wait_Desc, * from sys.databases 

Assuming you are running your DB with FULL/ BULK LOGGED and you cannot take the back-up then you can change the recovery model to SIMPLE and perform the shrink file action:

ALTER DATABASE SET RECOVERY SIMPLE 
GO
DBCC SHRINKFILE ( logical_file_name, 200)
Note: You will have to change the logical file name in the above code with that of yours and you can know it by executing exec sp_helpfile

May 29th, 2015 2:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics