SQL Powershell (SQL Server 2014) does not start because of insufficient execution policy "Restricted" on "Process" scope

After migration to Windows 10 and PS 4.0 SqQL Powershell cannot be launched by SQL Server. SQL PS tries to load module SQLPS but the execution policy is set to "Restricted" at process level. Because manual setting of execution policy on this level is not made persistent there seems I don't see an workaround.

Any idea how to fix

August 30th, 2015 6:31pm

What is the PowerShell Execution Policy?

The PowerShell execution policy is the setting that determines which type of PowerShell scripts (if any) can be run on the system. By default it is set to "Restricted", which basically means none. However, it's important to understand that the setting was never meant to be a security control. Instead, it was intended to prevent administrators from shooting themselves in the foot. That's why there are so many options for working around it. Including a few that Microsoft has provided.  For more information on the execution policy settings and other default security controls in PowerShell I suggest reading Carlos Perez's blog. He provides a nice overview.

Why Would I Want to Bypass the Execution Policy?

Automation seems to be one of the more common responses I hear from people, but below are a few other reasons PowerShell has become so popular with administrators, pentesters, and hackers.  PowerShell is:

• Native to Windows
  • Able to call the Windows API
  • Able to run commands without writing to the disk
  • Able to avoid detection by Anti-virus
  • Already flagged as "trusted" by most application white list solutions
  • A medium used to write many open source Pentest toolkits

How to View the Execution Policy

Before being able to use all of the wonderful features PowerShell has to offer, attackers may have to bypass the "Restricted" execution policy.  You can take a look at the current configuration with the "Get-ExectionPolicy" PowerShell command. If you're looking at the setting for the first time it's likely set to "Restricted" as shown below.

<textarea class="crayon-plain print-no" data-settings="" readonly="readonly" style="box-sizing:border-box;color:#000000;margin:0px;vertical-align:middle;border:0px;border-radius:0px;padding:0px 5px;width:748px;height:64.5px;box-shadow:none;transition:border 0.2s linear, box-shadow 0.2s linear;cursor:not-allowed;opacity:0;word-wrap:normal;resize:none;tab-size:2;font-family:Monaco, MonacoRegular, 'Courier New', monospace !important;font-size:13px !important;line-height:15px !important;background-image:initial;background-attachment:initial;background-size:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;background-background-repeat:initial;"></textarea>
1 2 3   PS C:> Get-ExecutionPolicy
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 30th, 2015 8:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics