SQL Login

Hi Guys,

I'm learning SQL Server security, I have tried to create sql login and checked the local user and groups in the windows server and its not found there, Is SQL Server login a logical user within the SQL Server framework, will the sql logins be available outside of sql server ? for example: will it have a login access to the windows server ?  Will SQL Server create logins in the windows server ? I tried to login using the SQL Server login but its not working.

With regards,

Gopinath.

April 19th, 2015 11:06pm

no, sql logins do not exist outside of sql server. it is not like windows login. sql logins - strictly exist in sql server

select * from master..syslogins

--find your logins
select * from master..syslogins

--authentication mode on the server. restart requiured after the setting is changed
SELECT CASE SERVERPROPERTY('IsIntegratedSecurityOnly')   
WHEN 1 THEN 'Windows Authentication'   
WHEN 0 THEN 'Windows and SQL Server Authentication'   
END as [Authentication Mode]  

check this link  http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2191/how-to-check-sql-server-authentication-mode-using-t-sql-and-ssms/

make sure you  have mixed authentication enabled on the sql server. if enable it and restart the sql instance.

if deployed on windows server 2008 and above, sql authentication is safe authentication as it can use ker

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 19th, 2015 11:12pm

Nope SQL login is within SQL server it wont show in windows. You cant login to windows server with that login. Its a login with which you can access SQL and nothing to do with windows.

Below is only for SQL database login(ssms) not for windows server login.

For sql login you will have to change authentication mode to SQL Server and Windows Authentication mode

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-IN/library/ms188670.aspx

What error you are getting if this is already set? 

April 19th, 2015 11:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics