SQL Data Sync between Azure Database & On-Premises Database

I am unable to use the SQL Data Sync to sync a database we have at an on-premises server with our Azure database. When I attempt to refresh the schema so I can configure the sync rules, it stays in "processing" and never goes past that. This occurs when selecting the option to refresh the schema for the Azure database as well as the on-premises database. Everything is solid as far as the sync client setup on the on-premises server. It shows as "Online" in the management portal as well.  I just can't refresh either schema so that I can define sync rules.

There is not other info provided, in either the logs or through notifications.  Just "Processing".

Last tried:  8/23/2015 7:00 PM CST

Azure SQL Database Subscription ID: 3d9dcfea-332d-487b-9e7b-6053b722c163

Sync Agent: SiteProMasterSync

Sync Group: AmplisineMasterSyncGroup

August 23rd, 2015 8:49pm

how many tables do you have on the database?

as a workaround, try scripting the tables you want to sync, create a new db and create empty tables based on the scripts you generated earlier. you can then the add the new db to Data Sync and refresh the schema from that DB. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 7:05am

That doesn't really solve my problem though.  If I can't even get it to refresh the schema on an existing Azure database, then I wouldn't think it would be useful to create an empty replica, unless there's something I'm not seeing.

My problem is that I have over 120 locations feeding into my on-premises database, so I want to create the data sync so that I can make a smooth transition over to using purely the Azure database, rather than stopping all data feeds into my in-office server and then redirecting all of the incoming connections to the Azure database.  This also provides a great way to fully test my azure site before launching it.

August 24th, 2015 7:50am

The Refresh schema is only there so you can pick the tables you want to sync, it has nothing to do with the synchronisation.

once, you picked the tables you want to sync, then provisioning can proceed.

By forcing the Refresh Schema to go against empty tables, you're isolating a known issue with Refresh Schema dealing with certain table counts/db size.

August 24th, 2015 8:11am

The Refresh schema is only there so you can pick the tables you want to sync, it has nothing to do with the synchronisation.

By forcing the Refresh Schema to go against empty tables, you're isolating a known issue with Refresh Schema dealing with certain table counts/db size.

August 24th, 2015 8:12am

Sadly enough, as much as I wanted that to work, it did not.  It still stays stuck on "Processing".
August 24th, 2015 10:29am

Sadly enough, as much as I wanted that to work, it did not.  It still stays stuck on "Processing".
August 24th, 2015 10:30am

August 24th, 2015 12:11pm

August 24th, 2015 2:29pm

Hi,

I'm afraid that the schema refresh issue is caused by one limitation of SQL Data Sync Service, which is currently we only support 500 tables as max in one sync group. From our service backend, the error message shows that: Unable to process a schema with 513 tables, 500 is the max.

So in order to resolve this issue, could you please consider to remove some unnecessary tables on your on-premises database if possible?

Also, the user experience of this should be improved since stuck on "Processing" without any error message won't help you to understand the situation. We are working on that, thanks for your reporting.

Regards,
Bowen

September 5th, 2015 9:01am

Bowen,

Thank you for the help!  Alright, I have removed some tables.  I currently have 491 tables.  The schema refreshes as it needs to.  However, a new problem has occurred:  After selecting all of the tables for syncing, and hitting saved, it tells me that the sync group failed to be provisioned.  When I click "Details", it just says the same thing twice (Sync group failed to be provisioned).  

Could you look on your side and let me know what's wrong now?

---Edit---

I was able to save a single table.  So there must be a certain table that is not playing nice.  I'll continue adding each table 1 by 1, but in the mean time, could you verify the problem on your end?

September 7th, 2015 9:37pm

Bowen,

Thank you for the help!  Alright, I have removed some tables.  I currently have 491 tables.  The schema refreshes as it needs to.  However, a new problem has occurred:  After selecting all of the tables for syncing, and hitting saved, it tells me that the sync group failed to be provisioned.  When I click "Details", it just says the same thing twice (Sync group failed to be provisioned).  

---Edit---

I was able to save a single table.  So there must be a certain table that is not playing nice.  I'll continue adding each table 1 by 1, but in the mean time, could you verify the problem on your end?

September 7th, 2015 9:38pm

Glad to know you can refresh the schema successfully. :)

Refer to the problem "sync group failed to be provisioned", may I know how many times did you try to select all tables and save? As from our service backend, I didn't find any related failed requests. So the error you were facing might be related to an Azure Portal issue which doesn't related to sync service. If you only did that once, I would recommend you to try again, as save table 1 by 1 will be quite tedious.

Regards,
Bowen

September 7th, 2015 10:08pm

I am getting that error at random, whether it be on a single table or all tables.  Every now and again, it still get stuck on "Processing...", just like it did when I couldn't refresh my schema.  Maybe that means there are error logs available on your back-end now?  That seems to be the unifying theme for when it gets stuck in "Processing...".  When it gets stuck, we get answers!
September 7th, 2015 10:41pm

I was marking computed columns!  Idiot.  I'll uncheck those from the sync rules and let you know what happens.
September 7th, 2015 10:42pm

I was marking computed columns!  Idiot.  I'll uncheck those from the sync rules and let you know what happens.
September 7th, 2015 10:43pm

Alright, I tried, while not including the computed columns, and it still errors out.
September 7th, 2015 10:48pm

Bowen,

---Edit---

September 8th, 2015 1:36am

September 8th, 2015 2:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics