SQL Azure Data Sync CTP2 Timeout Expired errors

Can someone advise me on what to do about Timeout Expired errors in SQL Azure Data Sync CTP2? In doing SQL Server > SQL Azure syncs, the majority of the time the Provisioning step fails for the SQL Server database with the error below.

Provisioning Failed: 'Type=System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException,Message=Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.,'

Some syncs do work, so I know general connectivity is not the issue. Many of these tables have over a million records. Any advice much appreciated.
July 14th, 2011 7:14pm

See:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/issue-with-large-data-sync-using-sql-azure-sync-fw-2-1.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2011 5:38am

its most likely timing out populating the tracking tables (tables with _tracking suffix). unfortunately, the current Sync Agent doesnt allow you to specify a command timeout.

the only workaround i could think of is to start with empty tables, have Data Sync finish provisioning, then loading the data back to the tables. that would populate the tracking tables.

July 15th, 2011 6:14am

I did find I could add a connection timeout to the connection string  in AgentConfigData.xml and setting a Connection Timeout=1000 made the Timeout expired error go away for the most part (it does still occur if I try to run two syncs at the same time with large tables).

July 17th, 2011 4:06am

Hi David

JuneT is correct - the error happens when the Sync Agent is provisioning the local database (creating and populating the tracking tables).  You correctly discovered the timeout parameter in the XML file which ensures the Agent does not timeout while wating for the provisioning to go through when there are millions of rows in the local SQL Server tables.

Thanks, Mark

August 25th, 2011 11:43pm

hi mark,

isn't ConnectionTimeout different from CommandTimeout? or is Sql Azure DataSync grabbing the ConnectionTimeout settings in the config and is using it as the CommandTimeout as well? (peeking at the code, it seems its not).

the sync process is more likely to be proned to command timeouts than connection timeouts. i think its a good idea to have these both configurable in the SyncAgent including retry counts before raising an error.

cheers,

junet

August 26th, 2011 4:43am

Hello Anyone,

Which config file is it? How do I update the config file exactly??? What is the syntax?? totally stuck on this one.

any help :)

thank u very much

Mike

• Edited by MikeW007 10 hours 52 minutes ago
July 9th, 2014 5:35pm

Hello Anyone,

Which config file is it? How do I update the config file exactly??? What is the syntax?? totally stuck on this one.

thank u very much

Mike

• Edited by MikeW007 10 hours 39 minutes ago
July 9th, 2014 5:48pm

Hello Anyone,

thank u very much

Mike

• Edited by MikeW007 Wednesday, July 09, 2014 11:51 PM
July 10th, 2014 12:26am

Hello Anyone,

thank u very much

Mike

Hello Anyone,

thank u very much

Mike

Hello Anyone,

thank u very much

Mike

Hello Anyone,

thank u very much

Mike

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics