SQL 2014 SP1 Management Studio does not connect to Database engine

I set up a few administrative terminal servers (W2K8 R2) and installed SQL 2014 SP1 Management Studio to manage remote SQL servers. On one of these servers I suddenly had a problem when connecting to SQL servers:

- When using windows authentication, SSMS won't connect to the remote SQL server, the window (Connect to server) stays grayed out - only the Cancel button remains active. After 5-10 minutes it either connects to the remote SQL server or gives up with no message, all window elements go back to being active again

- When using windows authentication with an account which is not authorized it immediately brings up the error message that the login failed.

- When using SQL server authentication it won't connect with greyed out window (authorized account or not).

- Looking at network connections you can't see any activity from ssms.exe process when the problem occurs.

- Reinstalled management studio with no effect.

I ended up reinstalling the whole server to get it working again. Unfortunately now an other server has the same problem. Any hints what might be the culprit?

August 21st, 2015 2:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics