SQL 2012 installation - Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed

Hi

I'm trying to install SQL 2012 (x64) Standard Edition on Windows 7 Enterprise but I'm getting some errors.

During the install I get 'Wait on the Database Engine recovery handle failed. Check the SQL Server error log for potential causes'.

The error log shows the following:

Initializing the FallBack certificate failed with error code: 1, state: 20, error number: 0.
TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.
TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. Cannot find object or property.
Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.
SQL Server could not spawn FRunCommunicationsManager thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

I've previously had SQL 2005 and uninstalled it prior to attempting SQL 2012. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SQL 2012 as well as attempting to install the Express version of SQL 2012 and that gives the same error too.

If I change the service to use my local domain account, the service starts but then I can't login (the default login for the service doesn't allow the service to start).

The 'Certificate' entry in the registry is empty and 'ForceEncryption' is 0.

Any tips appreciated.

April 23rd, 2013 5:47pm

Hello,

Please verify the SQL Server service account has the privileges, rights and permissions required. Please read the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504(v=sql.110).aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 23rd, 2013 6:04pm

Hi,

Please check this link and follow the steps http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqljourney/archive/2012/03/16/sql-2008-r2-setup-fails-with-quot-wait-on-the-database-engine-recovery-handle-failed-quot.aspx

April 24th, 2013 4:23am

Thanks, I had a look at this and the permissions look fine under my own account as Admin. The default account after installation doesn't appear to work due to permissions issues. Must be a Windows 7 security issue.
April 24th, 2013 11:06am

Thanks, this does look more promising. I can get past the service starting bit using network service or local system so I'm going to give it a go with adding the admins back. Although having said that, I specified myself as admin during the installation so it should have added me in anyway.

April 24th, 2013 11:11am

I tried this step:

4. Now stop the service and start it from the command prompt using -m -c -T3608 parameters.

And the service doesn't start and I get this:

2013-04-24 09:45:04.94 spid11s     Server local connection provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ].
2013-04-24 09:45:04.94 spid11s     Server local connection provider is ready to accept connection on [ \\.\pipe\sql\query ].
2013-04-24 09:45:04.94 Server      Server is listening on [ ::1 <ipv6> 1434].
2013-04-24 09:45:04.94 Server      Server is listening on [ 127.0.0.1 <ipv4> 1434].
2013-04-24 09:45:04.95 Server      Dedicated admin connection support was established for listening locally on port 1434.
2013-04-24 09:45:04.95 spid11s     Recovery is complete. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
2013-04-24 09:45:04.95 Server      SQL Server is attempting to register a Service Principal Name (SPN) for the SQL Server service. Kerberos authentication will not be possible until a SPN is registered for the SQL Server service. This is an informational message. No user action is required.
2013-04-24 09:45:04.95 spid11s     SQL Server is now ready for client connections. This is an informational message; no user action is required.
2013-04-24 09:45:04.97 Server      The SQL Server Network Interface library could not register the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/W059665.pc.local ] for the SQL Server service. Windows return code: 0x2098, state: 15.

The service does start using configuration manager, just doesn't let me login afterwards.

April 24th, 2013 11:49am

I have this working now and I'm posting this in case it helps someone who might have the same issue in the future.

The steps are:

1. Allow the install to run with the error shown
  2. Go to SQL configuration manager
  3. Change the service account of the SQL service from mssqlserver to network service
  4. Open the command prompt with admin rights
  5. Navigate to the 'binn' folder of the sql install
  6. Start the server using SQLCMD S <Server\Instance> (drop the instance if it's a standard install)
  7. CREATE LOGIN LoginAccount with PASSWORD=password111. (Substitute LoginAccount/Password as required)
  8. go
  9. SP_ADDSRVROLEMEMBER LoginAccount,'SYSADMIN'
  10. go

This should allow you to login using SQL authentication and add further users.

April 24th, 2013 12:13pm

Hello azdb,

I am new to SQL server, so can you please elaborate your method in order to get rid of this error.

I would be really very helpful.!!

May 22nd, 2013 6:40pm

I am installing the SQL Server 2012 express on Windows Server 2012 and I faced the same problem of database engine recovery handle failed".  I found that during creation on the page where the system starts to create the database engine and other components - the default account name for Database engine service is something like NT AUTHORITY\MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS and this seems to be the problem as this user I think does not exist!  I change the Account Name for the database engine service to NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and allow the system creation to continue and all was successfully installed.  This move seems logical since this account name exists with full rights to the folder where the sql database engine was created !  My only question is why does the SQL 2012 Software system itself default to an user account that does not have the full right (possibly) to start the database engine after the installation??  Why did the programmers do it this way knowing very well this problem can come up?

Hope this will help anyone facing this same problem as I spent so much time just trying to overcome this issue. rgds

LC

July 9th, 2013 3:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics