SQL 2012 SE Logshipping Restore Job stuck (in standby mode)

Hello,

I am using SQL 2012 SE. I have setup logshipping from Server A to Server B. The database on secondary server will be in Stand bY mode as I need some processing from 12:05AM to 7:00AM every night. On Server A the backup job runs one every5 minutes and on Server B the copy job runs every 1 minute. However I set the restore job to run once every 3 minutes but from 8AM to 12:02AM only due to some other processing. This was running fine until this morning.

But since 8:00AM the restore job is stuck at restoring a log from 5:45AM and its only a 12MB file.  SQLServer log has the below message below:

SQL Server has encountered 1 occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete on file [D:\Data\reports.mdf] in database [reports] (5).  The OS file handle is 0x00000000000010B4.  The offset of the latest long I/O is: 0x0000294a684000

However this message appears consistently and that doesnt look like an error because after that message I see a succesfull dbcc check and a log restore performed succcesfully. It clearly says log has been restored followed by the log backup file name. However if I look at the TX Log Shipping report it says restore delay is 915Min and last restored file is the log file that got backedup at 5:45AM.

I stopped the restored job and started it again and it wont run. However I noticed that the .tuf file size is 0kb.

Experts please reply how this can be fixed. I need tx log shipping in standby mode and I choose to disconnect users when doing a restore.

Thanks 

August 22nd, 2015 10:50pm

How to  troubleshoot?

1.  Exclude SQL Server files from antivirus scan.

2. Do not place SQL Server FILES on compressed drives.

3. Distribute SQL Server data files and transaction log files across drives.

4. If the I/O request taking longer warning is for tempdb , Enable trace flag 1118 and increase the tempdb data files refer:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2154845

5. If none of the above resolves the issue collect the below perfmon counters.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2012/06/26/io_2d00_bottlenecks.aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 9:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics