SQL 2008 SP1 does not upgrade SQL Server engine
I am trying to upgrade a SQL 2008 dev RTM version on Windows 7 to SP1.  When I run the SP1 exe, only the shared components is shown to be available to upgrade.  This is a ghosted machine that I just got that had SQL 2008 RTM on it and I did try to uninstall SQL 2008 and reinstall and then reapply SP1 but that didn't work.  Any advise would be appreciated.
May 28th, 2015 3:51pm

Hi DBAFan2013,

Could you please run the discovery report to check that if some components of SQL Server 2008 have been applied to SP1?

Also please make sure that you have downloaded the correct version of SQL Server 2008 SP1 from the following link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20302

In addition, if you fail to install service pack, please post summary log and detail log for further analysis. By default, the logs can be found in: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 28th, 2015 10:30pm

I am trying to upgrade a SQL 2008 dev RTM version on Windows 7 to SP1.  When I run the SP1 exe, only the shared components is shown to be available to upgrade.  This is a ghosted machine that I just got that had SQL 2008 RTM on it and I did try to uninstall SQL 2008 and reinstall and then reapply SP1 but that didn't work.  Any advise would be appreciated.

I would ask you to upgrade it directly to SP4. SP1 is not supported at all.

Please run discovery report and post the output

Make sure you are using correct installable, like if machine is 64 bit you must use 64 bit installable

May 29th, 2015 10:20am

Hello,

Try a slipstream installation of SQL Server 2008 + SP4 (or SP1 if you prefer), after uninstalling the actual instance of SQL Server.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/955392?wa=wsignin1.0

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 10:54am

The SP1 install was x84.  I installed SP4 x64 bit successfully without slipstream.  Thanks all for the help!
May 29th, 2015 6:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics