SQL2K14 Activity monitor shuts down if I connect to the instance it's monitoring with performance monitor.

Has anybody ever seen this?

If I'm on a remote machine, meaning a computer not in the WSFC cluster, and I open SSMS 2014, point it to a SQL Instance, and open activity monitor:

1.  I get all the panes and charts except % Processor Time.

2.  Then, if I authenticate to the cluster's domain by mapping a drive with valid domain credentials, I'm free to put performance counters in the Perfmon - - - but SQL Activity Monitor shuts down with:

The Activity Monitor is unable to execute queries against server SQL-V01\INSTANCE1

Activity monitor for this instance will be placed into a paused state.

Use the context menu in the overview pane to resume the activity monitor

Additional information:  Access is denied.  (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))(Mscorlib)

3.  Of course, the Activity monitor can't be resumed via the context menu.

Removing counters and closing the perfmon do not help.  I dropped the mapped drive and rebooted the machine.  That brought back 95% of the information in the Activity monitor.

4.  Further experimentation showed that any mapping of drive shares present on the SQL Server to the computer running SSMS cut off functionality of the 'overview' pane in the remote machine's SQL Activity monitor -- the monitor that had been trying to watch the server offering the shares.

August 19th, 2015 1:11pm

Hello,

Please try the solutions/workarounds provided on the following thread:

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/770897/after-installing-sp1-sql-server-2012-activity-monitor-gives-access-denied

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2015 4:12pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics