SOLUTION for "Diagnostic Policy Service" "Access Denied" 2008 R2
I have found a new and apparantly unknown solution to this problem. I'm not really expecting any replies to this message, but I'm posting this here so that others who experience this error can perhaps (finally) fix it themselves. , I have a new 2008 R2 file server I only just built a week ago, and for some reason I am getting a bizarre error at server startup that says the "Diagnostic Policy Service" failed to start, due to an "Access Denied" error #5. The only official Microsoft reference to this error is a registry permissions article on TechNet, but these permissions are correct on my server: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996 , After spending a great deal of time wading through tons of unhelpful discussions of the problem I decided to try researching it myself. I downloaded and installed Microsoft's free "Process Monitor" utility, started it, stopped the monitoring, and cleared the log. Next I arranged the services window and the Process Monitor utility window so that I could quickly start the capture of events, click Start on the "Diagnostic Policy Service" and then quickly stop capturing events after the error occured. Searching the Process Monitor event log for the word "denied", I found this single entry: ============== Date & Time: 9/3/2011 7:05:39 AM Event Class: File System Operation: CreateFile Result: ACCESS DENIED Path: C:\ TID: 2980 Duration: 0.0000359 Desired Access: Synchronize Disposition: Open Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Open For Free Space Query Attributes: n/a ShareMode: Read, Write AllocationSize: n/a ============== So it appears the Diagnostic Policy Service is trying to do something with drive C:\ when its first starts up, but its initial access is denied and the service fails to load. I went to the properties for drive C:, Security tab, and added the following entry: LOCAL SERVICE -- Full Control of C:\ , After doing this I can now go into the Services console, manually start the Diagnostic Policy Service, and it loads and continues to operate without any problems: System log: * The Diagnostic Policy Service service entered the running state. * The Diagnostic System Host service entered the running state. * The Protected Storage service entered the running state. , If this post is helpful to you, I would be interested in seeing your replies. Dale Mahalko, dmahalko@gmail.com
September 3rd, 2011 8:31am

Thanks for the sharing.Laura Zhang - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2011 1:08am

Thanks for the sharing.Laura Zhang - MSFT
September 9th, 2011 1:08am

I had the same issue as you stated. Using your idea to use Process Monitor, I found that access was denied to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WDI\Config. I set "NT Service\DPS" full control to that key and the service started.
May 4th, 2012 3:51pm

I had the same issue as you stated. Using your idea to use Process Monitor, I found that access was denied to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WDI\Config. I set "NT Service\DPS" full control to that key and the service started.
May 4th, 2012 3:51pm

I had the same issue as you stated. Using your idea to use Process Monitor, I found that access was denied to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WDI\Config. I set "NT Service\DPS" full control to that key and the service started. I'm having the exact same issue, I just don't understand where you're finding NT Service/DPS. Can you please give some more detail?
June 25th, 2012 9:32pm

I had the same issue as you stated. Using your idea to use Process Monitor, I found that access was denied to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WDI\Config. I set "NT Service\DPS" full control to that key and the service started. I'm having the exact same issue, I just don't understand where you're finding NT Service/DPS. Can you please give some more detail?
June 25th, 2012 9:34pm

You have to select the local computer/server you are working on in order to add nt service\xxxx accounts. Click the location button and select the computer you are using when adding permissions. Be aware though that if Group Policy is controlling registry permissions, then you will need to edit that gpo and add the proper permissions then wait for them to propagate out to the rest of the network. I ran across this problem when I first added 2008 servers to a 2003 domain that I inherited. Previous admin was crazy about restricting registry permissions through group policy.
June 28th, 2012 11:16am

Hi, I have been forever and a day trying to find a solution to this error. I notice you all refer to servers. Will this work on my home computer? I am having the problem on one that connects wirelessly. I have the wireless connection working, but no internet connection due to this error. Thank you
July 25th, 2012 10:05pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics