SNMPv3

Cannot discovery SNMPv3 devices with SCOM 2012 R2 UR4. Turned on tracing to get logs. Setup RunAs account with the same Credentials as the switch.  Did not put in Context ID.  Setup Explicit Discovery.  Can discover SNMPv2 devices but not v3.  Anyone successful in discovering Cisco Switches with SNMP v3?

Tom

February 11th, 2015 3:12pm

Hi,

I would like to suggest you use netmon to trace whether the device is responding to the SCOM SNMP requests. You may check firewall rules.

Please make sure the Cisco devices were configured correctly. I have seen one CU configure Cisco device for AES-256 when it should have been AES-128, then this caused SCOM cannot discover it.

In addition, please also look into operation manager event logs for more detailed information to help troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2015 9:56pm

Hi,

>Anyone successful in discovering Cisco Switches with SNMP v3?

Yes, I did this multiple times. Short check list:

-  all your RunAs configuration must exactly match to the network device config (five parameters: username, AuthProtocol and passphrase, Privacy protocol and passphrase)

- check firewall rules on the management server or on all pool members if you selected a pool. Check the Outbound rules. There are Operations Manager rules, created by the installer but disabled by default. Enable them

- download something like NetSNMP tools and try to use snmpwalk.exe from the management server and check SNMP connectivity

- check the access lists on the network device and ensure your management servers are allowed to manage the device via SNMP

HTH

February 11th, 2015 11:42pm

Thank you all for the responses.  

I ended up using a Gateway in the same network as the switch to perform the SNMP probing.  Looks like it is a firewall issue between the management server and switch.

Tom

• Edited by mlcc2000 16 hours 8 minutes ago
February 12th, 2015 2:23pm

Thank you all for the responses.  

I ended up using a Gateway in the same network as the switch to perform the SNMP probing.  Looks like it is a firewall issue between the management server and switch.

Tom

• Edited by mlcc2000 Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:24 PM
February 12th, 2015 10:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics