SMIME EFS Encryption Expired Certificate
Can i used expired certificate for EFS on vista and above O.S ? Can i use expired certificate for SMIME Encyption on office 2007 /2010 ?ammarhasayen
December 14th, 2010 4:08pm

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:04:58 +0000, ammarhasayen wrote: Can i used expired certificate for EFS on vista and above O.S ? Can i use expired certificate for SMIME Encyption on office 2007 /2010 ? For both of the above, to decrypt yes, to encrypt, no. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 14th, 2010 4:17pm

mmmmm. Ok , on a smart card with a new SMIME/EFS certificate and the old expired one , the user will go to trust center in outlook and choose the new smime certificate for encryption purposes . So outlook will use the new certificate for new encryption operations ..but when the user click an old email , will outlook check the old certificate on the smart card and decrypt accordingly ?ammarhasayen
December 15th, 2010 6:23am

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:19:11 +0000, ammarhasayen wrote: mmmmm. Ok , on a smart card with a new SMIME/EFS certificate and the old expired one? , the user will go to trust center in outlook and choose the new smime certificate for encryption purposes . So outlook will use the new certificate for new encryption operations ..but when the user click an old email , will outlook check the old certificate on the smart card and decrypt accordingly ? Yes, by default the expired certificate will be archived on the card and will be used to decrypt content that it was previously used to encrypt. Paul Adare MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager http://www.identit.ca
December 15th, 2010 6:31am

Outlook will search all encryption certificates on the smart card to decrypt old emails even if we choose the new encryption certificate from the SMIME Settings on outlook?ammarhasayen
December 15th, 2010 7:09am

How many times does Paul have to say Yes to your question YES
December 15th, 2010 8:18am

I needed only to confirm Brian this point specifically thats it . i needed to know that outlook will look to all certificates exposed to the user profile to look for decryption process and not only to the one configured in the trust center so i can report back this . We are all here to share info , and no harm to confirm.ammarhasayen
December 15th, 2010 3:47pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics