SMB over 139 or 445??
Hi, I'm a little confused on the difference between SMB over 139 (Netbios?) and port 445 (over TCP?). Here's the scenario: I configured a Xerox Workcentre 255 to scan to a Win2008 file server. Both devices located in CityA and local subnet. The Xerox configuration page says Port 139 for SMB. Scans are successful. I captured the process using Wireshark and I see the following steps: DNS query for server name DNS response TCP microsoft-ds [SYN] TCP microsoft-ds [SYN, ACK] TCP microsoft-ds [ACK] SMB Negotiate Protocol Request SMB Negotiate Protocol Response.... I configured a second Xerox Workcentre 255 (City B) to scan to Win2008 file server (City A). Separate subnets. The Xerox configuration page says Port 139 for SMB. Scans are NOT successful. I captured the process using Wireshark and I see the following steps: DNS query for server name DNS response TCP netbios-ssn [SYN] TCP netbios-ssn [SYN, ACK] TCP netbios-ssn [ACK] NBSS session request, to XX.XX.XX.XX<20> from <XeroxHostname> Source IP=Xerox, Destination IP=FileServer NBSS Negative session response, called name not present Source IP=FileServer, Destination=Xerox I am guessing this is happening for two reasons: Xerox (CityA) is successful because is on the local network and has slightly newer firmware. Xerox (CityB) is NOT successful because is NetBios is being used and I guess the file server can't find it? I tried entering the IP - Hostname on the File Server LMhosts file but didn't work. This setup used to work on a SMB Novell file server (yuck) which we currently moved away from. Any ideas?
March 4th, 2011 3:51pm

On the server which fails, check to make sure that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled in the server's NIC properties. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2011 7:41pm

Hi, Thanks for the post. Windows supports file and printer sharing traffic by using the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol directly hosted on TCP (Port 445). This differs from earlier operating systems, in which SMB traffic requires the NetBIOS over TCP (NBT) protocol (Port 139)to work on a TCP/IP transport. For more information, please take a look at the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/204279 Meanwhile, after checking on the following Admin Guide, we find that the Port 445 should be used when configuring Scan Function: http://download.support.xerox.com/pub/docs/WC7425_WC7428_WC7435/userdocs/any-os/en/sys_admin_guide_en.pdf Hope this helps. MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 7th, 2011 5:21am

Thank you for the suggestions. I have enabled NetBios over TCP / IP on the file server. I deleted the lmhosts file and ensured that WINS is registering the Xerox properly. Rebooted Xerox and Servers. Tried Port 139 again and no luck... same results. Tried Port 445 on Xerox and I don't see anything on Wireshark past the DNS queries. I'm assuming this is a Xerox issue. I'm already trying to find out if I can upgrade the Xerox software since it's not the latest. In the mean time, any other suggestions?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2011 9:47am

Update: I updated the Xerox software to the latest version (newer than the one that's working)... no luck. So, now we are trying to get the same version installed even though is not the latest... I'm just curious to why the Xerox would behave using the microsoft-ds on one machine and the netbios-ssn on the other... I thought for sure the WINS server would help. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
March 7th, 2011 8:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics