SLsvc.exe with Windows Server 2008 64bit issue ...
I downloaded from TechNet the Windows Server 2008 Standard, DataCenter, Enterprise 64bit release .. with this I was going to install the software on the following system: DELL PowerEdge 860 CPU : Single (1)QUAD CORE XEON 2.66Ghz / 8 MB Cache / 3230 Memory : 8GB REG ECC DDR2 SDRAM HD : Two (2) Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3.5" Hard drive Optical Drive : 8X DVD-ROM DRIVE IDE Network : Onboard integrated Two (2) Broadcom 10/100/1000BASE-TX NICs Power Supply : AC, 345 W, 110V-240V Video : Integrated XGI XG20 VGA controller - 16 MB Ports : (BACK) Two (2) USB, One (1) Serial , Two (2) PS/2, and One (1) 15-pin VGA / (FRONT) Two (2) USB, One (1) 15-pin VGA Form Factor : 1U Rackmount Riser Card : PCI-E RISER CARD (1XPCI-E X8 SLOT, 1X PCI-E) RAID Controller : DELL SAS 5/iR INTERNAL CONTROLLER RAID PCIE Knowing that this system is fully capable of having this version installed, I didn't think I would have issues .. but.The installation was flawless, nothing appeared out of the usual, the installation completed with nothing to report .. but, within the first 2 minutes of the server being up and running, an error appeared stating that the Licensing Service has stopped (SLsvc.exe) !! I tried restarting the service in Service Center and again, within seconds it failed and stopped. I did find some entries here on TechNet in regards to this issue, however, not for Windows Server 2008, but for Vista .. I tried mirroring the issue thinking that maybe the resolution for Vista might resolve .. it did not .. so maybe I have a corruption somewhere .. wiped the system, tried the installation again .. same thing, SLsvc.exe stopped working with an APPCRASH.Now, heres the funny part .. I wiped the system again .. downloaded the 32bit release of Windows Server 2008 .. ran through the installation for that .. lets just say, my DELL PowerEdge 860 is now running Windows Server 2008 Standard .. license authenicated with no issues .. and no other problems to report.Has anyone come across anything like this before in regards to the 64bit version and SLsvc.exe stopping with an APPCRASH ???-The G33K
February 28th, 2009 11:12pm

Hi, According to the description, please perform the following suggestions: 1. Please run the following command to scan and repair system files: Sfc /scannow 2. If it is possible, please install Windows Server 2008 x64 on another server to test it. In this way, we can isolate the hardware related issues; 3. If it is possible, please download the trial version of Windows Server 2008 from the following link to test. In this way, we can isolate the installation source issues. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2009 2:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics