SHARED FOLDER LOCATION
I have a problem with a users posting to a shared folder: See example below: 1 Windows server 2003 server (member of domain, NOT a domain controller) 1 shared folder on server above 1 XP worstation (member of same domain as server above) User logs in to XP workstation locally (does not use domain user id) User maps drive to shared folder using domain user id and password User opens any program, in this case, Notepad. User creates text file. User clicks File, Save As and picks mapped drive of the shared folder. User clicks save and receives Disk Full error. User then clicks File, Save As and picks the local desktop on the XP workstation. User then opens Explorer and browses to mapped drive of shared folder. User creates a New folder and renames it 'Test'. User drags text file from desktop to 'Test' folder and it saves with no errors. Why can't the user save directly to the shared folder from inside of Notepad? The user clearly has Read / Write / Change access based on the fact he could create and rename a folder. I am stumped!!! Thanks in advance for any solutions!
August 17th, 2009 10:38pm

Hello,does this also happen when the user is logged on with it's domain account? Also if you have a domain, disable local logons.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 18th, 2009 10:39am

First let me say, thank you for your response! Due to the nature of certain software installed on this XP workstation, it HAS to login locally. So, logging into the domain is not an option. I will certainly test it by logging into the domain and trying the file save again, but in the end, all users need to login locally to this particular workstation. I thought like you, that the issue might be because the share was originally set for Authenticated Users to have full rights. I figured that maybe logging into a PC locally is not considered an 'authenticated user'. But there are a couple of issues with that thought. First, the mapped drive to the shared folder on the workstation DOES have an authenticated user's domain credentials. And second, I changed the shared folder on the server from Authenticated users have full rights to the EVERYONE group has full rights. Also, I am 100% sure I have used this type of setup in the past with no problems. The only difference is that the shared folder in the past was on a Windows 2000 server and now the shared folder is on Windows Server 2003. I am lost.
August 18th, 2009 5:35pm

Is it possible the permissions is set to Subfolders and File and not the top folder itself?
August 18th, 2009 8:08pm

I have yet to test logging into the domain on the XP pc and then trying the file save. However, Apply onto reads: This folder, subfolders and files. It is not set to Subfolders and File. I just want to add that the Server 2003 in this scenario is a brand new install. Thanks for the response!
August 18th, 2009 11:04pm

What about with just Explorer, you said the user can create a new folder "test" in the root but can he make a new file in the root? If not this isn't an app issue but a permissions on the Root.
August 19th, 2009 12:20am

Not sure I follow. I think you are asking if the user can save directly to the share, without creating a folder????? See below: The user has drive letter V mapped to the share called Graphics. Under Graphics, which I guess would be considered the root of the mapping, he can create and rename folders. He can also drag files to the root Graphics area as well with no problem. Is that what you were saying??
August 19th, 2009 12:58am

Instead of dragging a file, can the user create a brand new file in the root. Right click in root and select new file. Try a few different extentions, .doc, .bat, etc. Just wanted to make sure the user could create both files/folders in the root with something other than notepad. What happens if while using the Save As in notepad and the Save As window pops up, then you try to right click in the root of the share and select New-File.Stunpals - Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
August 26th, 2009 7:55am

The user is able to create in all scenarios you listed above. I created new files and folders. Renamed them. Deleted them with no problems. Even in the Save As Window, I can still right click and create or delete or rename with no issues. This is really perplexing. The workaround of saving to the local PC then moving to the share is OK, but ideally, I would like this to work as it worked before. Thanks for you suggestions......
September 1st, 2009 12:11am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics