SCVMM Network Virtualization - Forwarding gateway
Hi All,

I have scvmm set up in a lab and am looking to get network virtualization working in various different scenarios.

At the moment I have 2 clusters: 1 for "production" and 1 for virtualization gateways.

The production cluster hosts  management and tenant vm networks and the virtualization gateway cluster has a single host setup as a dedicated virtualization gateway and hosts a RRAS vm configured as a network service.

My tenant VM network is configured for direct routing and my Network service is configured with the following string:

VMHost=lab6.lab.com;GatewayVM=nvg1.lab.com;DirectRoutingMode=True;FrontEndServerAddress=10.0.0.27

I have a physical layer 3 switch with routes configured for the PA network and a default route to the internet.

VMs on my tenant network can contact servers on my physical management network and vice versa (on different subnets) but cannot access the internet. I assume that my tenant network is missing a default route but I'm not sure where to configure it - the VM network gateway is created automatically and I don't seem to be able to configre RRAS on the network service vm.

Thanks in advance.
  • Edited by tuscan01 Monday, March 17, 2014 1:22 PM
March 14th, 2014 2:02pm

Hello Tuscan01, do you have got any update about this issue? In my test lab the VM also couldn't reach internet access with a Forwarding gateway, just work for local physical network access.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 10th, 2014 5:36am

In my environment the IP address configured for the Front End network on the Virtualization Gateway is the one that I use as the route on the front end network for access to my tenant machines when using direct routing. Other guests on my front end network can route into the guest on the tenant network if they have a route set for that tenant network with their gateway pointing to the front end interface IP on the Virtualization Gateway VM.

In my environment the Internet router doesn't have a route back into the tenant network so that while the tenant network can reach guest and hosts on the front end network, the tenant network cannot get a response from the internet router because the internet router doesn't know how to get to the tenant network and needs to have a route for the front end network address of the Virtualization Gateway which takes care of the routing between the tenant and front end networks. The only way I can see this working in a multitenant network where there is IP overlap would be to have a proxy service on the front end network for the tenant computers to use.

July 30th, 2015 11:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics